Many multiple connection lost messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many multiple connection lost messages

On my second computer with Ninja Trader I'm getting messages every minute that the connection is lost. It then recovers shortly after. For a pic, see the attachment.

I don't notice this at the application level.

What could be causing this?

regards,
    taddypole...
    Attached Files

Hello Taddypole,

We realize that lost connections can be frustrating. A connection state between NinjaTrader and your broker/market data vendor is not dictated by NinjaTrader. The NinjaTrader application only reports the connection state as it is reported by the API you are connected through. NinjaTrader behaves like a radio receiver in that it receives signals from the connected server. If the signals are not coming through, the underlying broker/market data vendor API reports this to the NinjaTrader application which in turn reports this back to you. Once a loss of connection is reported, NinjaTrader or the underlying API will continuously try to re-establish a connection.

Common reasons that contribute to connection stability are:

- ISP issues
    - Hardware firewall changing IP addresses frequently
    - Dynamic IP addresses changing frequently intraday. Usually this happens once a week but you may want to check with your ISP. If they do change daily, requesting a static IP address may help.
    - Broker/market data servers may be experiencing temporary downtime

Could it be you have other software running on your computer that could be interfering NinjaTrader from staying connected to CQG? Please terminate all other applications you have running, restart NinjaTrader and check if the issue remains.

Please try a reset of your modem/router and check if this will make a difference.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Could it be you have NinjaTrader version 7.0.1000.21 or older installed? You can check the NinjaTrader version at Control Center-->Help-->About. If so, please upgrade to our latest version and check if the disconnections persist.

You can download and install version 7.0.1000.27 from the link below on top of your current version. Please make sure NinjaTrader is shut down when you install the latest version.

Comment

I continue to have the many connect/disconnect issues.

My configuration is:

2 computers
        one connected to CQG and the other to Ninja Trader Continuum
        the connection to CQG is the problem computer
        the connection to Ninja Trader Continuum is fine
        both are live connections
        1 ISP (Centurylink)
        1 modem/rounter
        the problem has been occurring for 2 weeks now

I have tried the following:

a. shut everything down including the modem/rounter
        b. uninstalled and re installed Ninja Trader
        c. updated Ninja Trader from .26 to .27
        d. called AMP Futures for help but no additional insights
        e. swapped ports on modem/router
        f. verified no problems in Device Manger with Network Adaptors

what else can I try?

Thanks
        taddypole...

Comment

Do you have any software running on the problem computer that is not running on the computer that does not experience disconnections? Since both computers use the same internet connection, it is likely not caused by the internet connection/modem. Please check if the disconnections persists if NinjaTrader is the only software running on the problem computer.

If you test NinjaTrader Continuum on the problem computer, do you experience any disconnections?

Do you experience any disconnections if you test CQG on the computer that does not experience any issues?

Were there any changes on the problem computer two weeks ago? Could it be you installed new software around that time?

Comment

Originally posted by Taddypole View Post
            I continue to have the many connect/disconnect issues.

My configuration is:

2 computers
            one connected to CQG and the other to Ninja Trader Continuum
            the connection to CQG is the problem computer
            the connection to Ninja Trader Continuum is fine
            both are live connections
            1 ISP (Centurylink)
            1 modem/rounter
            the problem has been occurring for 2 weeks now

I have tried the following:

a. shut everything down including the modem/rounter
            b. uninstalled and re installed Ninja Trader
            c. updated Ninja Trader from .26 to .27
            d. called AMP Futures for help but no additional insights
            e. swapped ports on modem/router
            f. verified no problems in Device Manger with Network Adaptors

what else can I try?

Thanks
            taddypole...
            Are the computers connected to the router by cables or by wireless?

Comment

Hi koganam,

The computers in question are hard wired to the router.

taddypole...

Comment

Originally posted by Taddypole View Post
                Hi koganam,

The computers in question are hard wired to the router.

taddypole...
                You may have a cable or router port problem. Try switching the cables and see if the problem follows the cable.

Comment

I continue to experience disconnects. They seem to happen mostly over night.
                  I have:
                  a. installed a new network cable.
                  b. plugged the new cable on the malfunctioning computer into the known "Good" port on the router.
                  c. tried a new NIC card.
                  d. called and had the ISP come out to troubleshoot the problem. They moved the DSL lines to a new rack and new card in a box a mile or so away from my house. Said they did notice some cable drops the days prior on my line.

But none of this has improved my situation. After all this work yesterday, the log file still shows many "lost" connections through the night.

And the strange thing is that I'm learning that CQG and Continuum are pretty much one-in-the-same.

see attachment:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello Taddypole,

Thanks for your post.
                    Please only post to one forum topic on related issues.

If your ISP is unable to resolve your connection from your system to the data servers you may want to consider a VPS

NinjaTrader is pleased to partner with Speedy Trading Servers to deliver reliable hosting solutions for our automated and semi-automated trading clients.

Speedy Trading Servers offers Windows based Virtual Private Servers (VPS) or Dedicated Servers for traders located near NinjaTrader's data providers and order routing technology partners. Some key benefits of these hosting solutions include:

Reliability: Dedicated VPSs and servers achieve 100% uptime network SLA with Speedy Trading Server's network providers offering a solution that runs 24/7/365.
                    Speed: 1 Gb/s Network links are used to achieve sub-millisecond connections to NinjaTrader's data providers and order routing technology partners.
                    Location: With locations in data centers in Chicago and New Jersey, Speedy Trading Servers is well suited for algorithmic and news based traders utilizing fully- or semi-automated strategies, including NinjaTrader's Advanced Trade Management (ATM) Strategies.
                    The VPS solutions utilize a Windows Server 2008 r2 Operating System and dedicated hardware resources with options meeting the most demanding trader's requirements. Connect to your VPS or Dedicated Server using Microsoft's fast and secure Remote Desktop Connection from your PC or Mac. Additional connection options are available for mobile devices (Android, iOS).

For more information regarding these solutions, additional benefits for NinjaTrader Brokerage clients, and a Free Trial, please contact Speedy Trading Servers: http://www.speedytradingservers.com/contact
                    BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

What happens if you go wireless with the bad computer?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by GwFutures1988, Today, 02:48 PM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
                      Started by ScottWalsh, 04-16-2024, 04:29 PM
                      6 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post ScottWalsh