Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with simulated trading using free EOD data

Hi Gentlemen,

I am quite new to Ninjatrader and (serious) trading in general. I found NT and so far I quite like it! I have one question regarding simulated trading though:

I am using the free NT version (for now) and I want to practice trading using the simulator account "Sim101" together with free EOD data.
    Currently I am using the Yahoo-connection but my orders get rejected. According to post #2 (if I understand it right) on this thread http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=49122 the Kinetick-connection does not support placing orders, but Yahoo does. I can view the chart of AAPL just fine.

So what I do is basically:
    -fire up NT
    -connect to Yahoo
    -on the tab 'Oders' in the control panel I place an order for AAPL and press buy
    -the order shows up with State "Initialized"
    -after some time (about 30secs) I get a message box (Yahoo. There is no market data available to drive the simulation)
    -I also tried to change the session template for AAPL to "Default 24/7" but it didn't help

I really googled a lot and tried a lot in NT but I seem unable to find a solution Could you help me out? Big thanks in advance!

Hello _vbs_,

Welcome to our support forum and great to hear you like our software.

In order to trade in simulation, realtime data needs to be received in NinjaTrader. When I test the AAPL with Yahoo on my end, I currently do not receive any realtime as well. I select the AAPL in the Control Center-->Orders-tab, but do you receive prices for Last.

Can you please check if realtime data is received after the open - 9:30 AM EST. Subsequently check if you can submit orders

If you are interested in forex or futures, you can apply for a free demo connection at the links below. They provide realtime data.

NinjaTrader Continuum (futures)
    NinjaTrader offers exclusive software for futures trading. With our modern trading platform, you will control every step of your trading journey. Open account to trade futures with us!

NinjaTrader FXCM (forex)
    NinjaTrader offers exclusive software for futures trading. With our modern trading platform, you will control every step of your trading journey. Open account to trade futures with us!
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for your fast reply Jason! I will try that later then.

But one more question please:
      I understand now I need real time data for simulated trading (so free Kinetick won't cut it). I am from germany and I am especially interested in german stocks. So I tried the same I did with AAPL with Siemens now. Currently on the Yahoo website I can see real time data (15min delayed) for "Siemens AG" (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SIE.DE&ql=0). It is traded at XETRA from 9:00 until 17:45 (GMT+2). So it is traded right now. I manually added Siemens as a symbol (SIE.DE) to my instruments.
      I hoped to have now real time data available in NT for Siemens through Yahoo. But in the chart view I can only see daily candle data and also in the Orders-tab I see no real time bid/ask. And my orders still get rejected.
      Was I wrong when I assumed I could get real time data for Siemens for (currently open) XETRA exchange?

Comment

Officially realtime data is not supported with Yahoo. See the link below under 'Understanding the data provided by your connectivity provider'.

I have seen some stocks do provide realtime data (delayed), but others do not. Unfortunately it seems German stocks do not. I tested the SIE.DE as well. I only load historical daily data and do not receive realtime data.
        Attached Files
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Jason. Well I tried again APPL with Yahoo (11:15 EST now) but I am still not getting real-time data. I also tried some other symbols (GOOGL, AMAZN) but also without success.

It seems hard to find free real-time data to start using the trade simulation. What is the reason in the first place to need real-time data for trade simulation? I could imagine that "paper trading" could work out also just with EOD data (Kinetick for example), no? Is it some techinal limitation of NT or are there are reason? As far as I can see, technically it should be possible to poll real-time data from Yahoo. I dont mean to complain or something, I am just trying to understand.

Would it be feasible to implement a custom data provider to poll Yahoo and fed it into NT using the AT interface (limited to just 4-5 symbols)?

Sorry for my heap of questions. I really appreciate your help!

Comment

Hello,

NinjaTrader's simulation engine requires fresh last price data in order to determine which orders should be filled in the simulation account. Without the updates from a real-time data source the simulation engine is unable to fill orders. While no provider currently offers real-time data free of charge this is something which you could access on a temporary basis through a free trial provided by one of our partners. IQ Feed, for example, offers a free trial which includes real-time equity data. For more information, please see this link to their website: https://www.iqfeed.net/index.cfm?displayaction=start

Unfortunately, a custom link to Yahoo's real-time data service is not supported at this time.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
              Hello,

NinjaTrader's simulation engine requires fresh last price data in order to determine which orders should be filled in the simulation account. Without the updates from a real-time data source the simulation engine is unable to fill orders. While no provider currently offers real-time data free of charge this is something which you could access on a temporary basis through a free trial provided by one of our partners. IQ Feed, for example, offers a free trial which includes real-time equity data. For more information, please see this link to their website: https://www.iqfeed.net/index.cfm?displayaction=start

Unfortunately, a custom link to Yahoo's real-time data service is not supported at this time.
              Actually BATS does offer free realtime data. NT just needs to provide the access, using the appropriate API.

I have already written another post requesting this. I did not expect this to be provided in NT7, so did not make the suggestion than. Maybe we see it in NT8, depending on what TPTB decide.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by kujista, Today, 06:23 AM
              5 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post kujista
              by kujista

Started by f.saeidi, Today, 10:19 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes