Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Colocation service? or home-office day trading PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colocation service? or home-office day trading PC?

My only concern with running an auto strategy live at home is that the internet sometimes goes in and out of service. I have comcast high-speed. As far as I know, this interruption is wifi only..I havent tested to see if it is ethernet too. If I run the system at home, then I would use ethernet cable connectivity only.

Colocation service is $99 per month from AMP brokerage, but I would prefer to view my trades on large monitors at home- as opposed to looking at end-of day results.

Just looking for some different thoughts and ideas on this- colocation server? or, home PC?

Well - you really need to test if it is ethernet.

You should really be on a wire..NT highly recommends it.

I'm finding my new 802.11AC wireless devices craters my wifi on my 3 year old ASUS router when I shut them down. (Thankfully - ethernet connections are fine).

Look in your router logs.

You should at least have a separate connection on your phone to some mobile platform to view prices (TDA/ThinkorSwim will get you futures)...

If you are home with the running strategy - you should at least get to know your broker's phone # to get out of trades if it does happen.

I'd say keep it at home until you are proven otherwise.

--additional--
    Hopefully you are on a laptop with a 3-5 hour battery life... Putting a big UPS on your router/modem to avoid power outages would be ideal.. I have cyberpower 900watt ups... lasts about 4 hours for both.. Now if you get one of those new $300 routers, expect less runtime as those pull down about 20 watts power when running vs 10watts for a normal router.
    Last edited by sledge; 05-20-2015, 07:15 PM. Reason: additional

Comment

thanks sledge

Trading PC not purchased yet..just trying to get everything in order first. I have been out of the loop for a few, but I still have my broker in my phone contacts.

Comment

last year I was running my backtests and market replay tests on ASUS laptop with wifi connection.

I am definitly leaning toward the home PC route. Two 27" led monitors with a new ASUS 3.5GHz i5 and 8GB DDR3 RAM would be a great set-up...and very nice to look at as well!

Comment

thanks for suggesting that-

I will now definitly be looking into the UPS for my router/modem. Which one do you suggest? 900watt?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by geddyisodin, Yesterday, 05:20 AM
          7 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
          Started by gbourque, Today, 06:39 AM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post gbourque