Alerts for paid indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alerts for paid indicators

Is it possible to set up alerts for indicators that I've paid for? What I'm looking to do is set up an email alert when 3 different market conditions are met, this would entail 2 separate indicators essentially.

I realize my question is sort of generic but, does NT7 offer the ability to create custom alerts like this?

If you wish to generate an alert from two custom indicators you need to code an indicator or strategy that calls both indicators and then triggers the alerts once the defined conditions come true.

This is only possible, if the two custom indicators have the plots or data series properly exposed.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you Harry for posting on this,

This would be correct, you would need to create an indicator that checks the Custom indicator you have in order to trigger alerts.

If you need further information on how to accomplish this using NinjaScript, please let me know and I would be happy to provide learning resources to help you in creating indicators with alerts.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
      JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys...
        Jesse if you could point me in the right direction as to figuring out if NinjaScript will show me what I need to see, I would appreciate it!

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

If you are just starting NinjaScript or have not used it yet, I will provide some basic links to help you get up to speed with NinjaScript.

NinjaScript is C# programming language, so for basic syntax and C# information I always recommend this page: http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/C_Sharp_Essentials
          Sections 5 - 11 would be the most relevant to NinjaScript.

There is a full documentation of NinjaScript located here as well: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h..._reference.htm

Because this is a third party indicator you are trying to get values from, before getting into too much detail we should see if the values you are after can be read by another indicator.

First in the chart where you have this, open the indicators properties and look at the plots. Look for the plot you are trying to get the value of and take note of its name.

Once you know the name of the plot you want the value from, we can check if this can be used from code.

To check this before doing any coding, you could use the strategy wizard to just see if the indicators can be used for alerts. To do this please do the following:

Click Tools -> New NinjaScript -> Strategy
          Click Next 3 times, you do not need to do anything on the first 3 tabs.
          Now you should be at a screen that says Set 1 - Set 10
          In the Set 1, next to the area that says " When the following conditions are true" click the Add button
          On the left list, click the + next to indicators and then select the indicator you want to use.
          Below the list, you will see some properties appear when you select the indicator.
          Now click the Plot field and click the DropDown to see all the plots, is the one you took note of from the chart listed here?

Do this for both indicators, after doing so you can just cancel the wizard and it will not save the strategy.

After doing this, you will know if both indicators can be used, if the plot is listed it can be read from another indicator. if so please let me know and we can continue to creating a indicator that reads these.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
          JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply...

I followed your tips, I am NOT able to see these 2 indicators in the Strategy indicator list. Does this mean I am out of luck on this or is there another way I can still get what I want?

Does NT8 more abilities in this area to create custom alerts?

Comment

You will not be able to edit the indicators via Tools -> Edit NinjaScript -> Indicator, because the assemblies are not located in the indicator folder.

However, you should be able to access them via the strategy builder or an indicator. If you cannot find them, please ask the vendor for the name of the indicator class.

Comment

Thank you again Harry. As Harry said, you should find the assemblies in the C:\Users\<username>\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom folder. Please note that not all third-party indicators can be referenced via custom strategies or other indicators -- it all depends upon how it was coded and whether the developer intended to prevent any access to them. The original developer will be the best point of contact to verify this, if you find that you cannot access the indicator in your code.
                Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes