another day another frozen chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another day another frozen chart

See attached pic of monthly chart of dollar yen ($USDJPY). Current price is $123.04, but this chart is frozen at $119.11 for some reason. I've got two workspaces devoted to the dollar yen, with daily, weekly and monthly charts in them, and only this one chart has frozen. The only thing that I know to do is to hit "Reload all historical data" which sometimes works, but not this time. Are there any more tricks to get a chart to start updating properly? BTW, I'm using NT 7 (latest updates) with Kinetick EOD data.
    Taz Tasuki
    Attached Files

Hello Tasuki,

When I test such a chart on my end, I load data as expected.

Can you please disconnect Kinetick EOD and go to Control Center-->Tools-->Options-->Data-tab, click Repair DB. Restart NinjaTrader and check if the USDJPY chart loads data as expected.

If the issue remains, please exit NinjaTrader and go to C:\-->Users-->*Windows user account*-->Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->db and delete the cache folder. Start NinjaTrader and check again.
    Attached Files
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for trying, but no luck, and if memory serves, this is the usual pattern with this glitches---nothing fixes a chart once it gets stuck. I'm curious what the heck is going on in the software such that this sort of error could occur.
      You can easily appreciate the problem: when you're trading live, you absolutely need to be able to trust that what you're seeing is correct. Needless to say, this sort of error is very worrisome.
      Anyway, thanks for trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Tasuki View Post
        Thanks for trying, but no luck, and if memory serves, this is the usual pattern with this glitches---nothing fixes a chart once it gets stuck. I'm curious what the heck is going on in the software such that this sort of error could occur.
        You can easily appreciate the problem: when you're trading live, you absolutely need to be able to trust that what you're seeing is correct. Needless to say, this sort of error is very worrisome.
        Are you connecting to another provider other than Kinetick?

Does right clicking on the chart - and selecting Data Series - then is the End Day todays date? Or is it stuck on last week?

Monday was holiday in USA which may have played havoc here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tasuki View Post
          Kinetick EOD is no real-time feed. In so far the chart will always be frozen. The last value displayed will not match the current price of the security and it will not be updated.

However, the value shown on your chart is from last week. This can be caused by

-> selecting a false end date under Data Series setting for you chart
          -> incomplete daily data

Please check the DataSeries settings of your chart and reload daily data. The problem should then go away. However, with an EOD data feed you will never be able to track intraday prices. For that purpose you need to subscribe to a real-time data feed.

Comment

Sledge, thanks for your reply. No, not connecting to another data provider, just Kinetick EOD (the free one). Good point about the Memorial Day holiday, except it turns out that the Data Series shows that the end date for that chart got stuck at May 14, for some completely unfathomable reason. I mean, I've had that chart up and watching it for months and months, and it has rolled along just fine, no problems at all, until one day it just decides to get stuck. As mentioned in my original post, I've got several charts of $USDJPY in two workspaces, and of all these charts, this is the only one that got stuck. This business of getting stuck is a headache. There has to be a glitch somewhere in NT's or Kinetick's software, because this happens farily regularly, but only on certain instruments. For example, I've never seen charts getting stuck with the emini index futures, the bond futures, or the note futures. Nor with major indexes (e.g. $SPX). The usual culprits are the commodities, such as nat gas and soybean meal. What surprised me is that this is the first time I've seen a Forex chart get stuck.

Harry, thanks also for your reply: You are of course completely correct about EOD (end of day), and the fact that (by definition) you don't get intraday data with the (wonderfully free) EOD data, but I'm not expecting intraday data. As mentioned above, I just wait after the close until the exchanges have updated their servers with the closing data. It works great, most of the time. As I'm' sure you know, for the first 300 years of trading, that's all people had access to was EOD data. This intraday business is a relatively new phenomenon, and there are still plenty of traders who trade off EOD data exclusively. Worls fine until something goes fishy and the chart refuses to update. I wish like anything I could figure out why a given chart just stops updating, after I've been using it for months with no problem. Very mysterious. Somebody out there has to know what causes this---who's responsible for the integrity of the data, and making sure that the daily values are updated from the exchanges and then correctly entered into Ninjatrader's servers?

Comment

Hello Tasuki,

Ok, so the issue was caused because the 'End date' in the Data Series menu was not set to the current date. Do you recall any oddities on May 15th? Because the chart was stuck on May 14th, the issue occurred on May 15th.

You mention you experienced this issue before in other charts. Do you notice any consistencies between these occurrences?

Do you still have log and trace files for May 15th? If so, please send them to "platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com" and put 'Att Jason, another day another frozen chart' in the subject header.

Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> Log--> log.20150529 for today. (log.yyyymmdd for any other date)

Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> Trace--> trace.20150529 for today. (trace.yyyymmdd for any other date)

Comment

Hi Jason,
                Answering your questions:
                No, I don't recall any specific anomalies on the 15th. What sort of "oddities" should I be on the lookout for? (since this happens fairly regularly, I should be on the lookout...but for what, exactly?)

Sadly, no, I don't recall any consistencies between instances, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Looks like I do have the log and trace files from that date. I'll send them to you. Thanks!

Tasuki

Comment

Anything that is out of the ordinary. I will need to find a reproducible scenario to further troubleshoot the issue.

I did not receive any log and trace files so far. Did you already send them?

Comment

The reason i mentioned connection order is that if I don't connect to TDA on Sunday first, they never advance on Monday. End date stuck on Sunday.

#1 Connection rithmic,then tda - tda fails to advance.
                    #2 Connection tda,disconnect tda,rithmic, tda - works great on Monday.

I can see the charts for tda never get touched in connection order 1.
                    In connection order 2,they get touched.

Haven't seen any one else here with the issue.

Comment

Thank you for reporting. I will test this scenario upcoming weekend and see if I can reproduce it.

Comment

terminology

Originally posted by sledge View Post
                        The reason i mentioned connection order is that if I don't connect to TDA on Sunday first, they never advance on Monday. End date stuck on Sunday.

#1 Connection rithmic,then tda - tda fails to advance.
                        #2 Connection tda,disconnect tda,rithmic, tda - works great on Monday.

I can see the charts for tda never get touched in connection order 1.
                        In connection order 2,they get touched.

Haven't seen any one else here with the issue.
                        sledge (or anyone),
                        I just know I'm going to sound like an idiot, but I'm not clear on the terms you're using. What does TDA stand for? What does "rithmic" stand for?
                        Thanks,
                        Tasuki

Comment

Hello Tasuki,

Sledge is referring to data sources here: TDA is a common abbreviation for TD Ameritrade. Rithmic is a market data source used by many futures brokerages supported by NinjaTrader.
                          KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

yes, sent log and trace

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                            Anything that is out of the ordinary. I will need to find a reproducible scenario to further troubleshoot the issue.

I did not receive any log and trace files so far. Did you already send them?
                            Jason,
                            Yes, sent log and trace files to the email address you provided ([email protected]). My email is in my "Sent" box so I know it went through. Sent on Saturday, May 30 at 11:10 AM. Subject heading, "Attn Jason, another day another frozen chart."
                            BTW, I frequently have problems with techs at NT support center receiving email I've sent. Not sure why this is, but quite often I'll write to one tech and get a reply from another tech.
                            Anyway, I guess I can resend, but you should have that email no problem.
                            Thanks,
                            Tasuki

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
                            3 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post jeronymite  
                            Started by bill2023, Today, 08:51 AM
                            2 responses