Ninjatrader Unstable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninjatrader Unstable

I've been backtesting my strategies for a few weeks, and have noticed that Ninjatrader has been becoming unstable. Meaning, if I replay at 50x for more than a week's worth of data, Ninjatrader crashes/"stops working". I also noticed that it tends to hang/freeze occasionally.

I used to be able to replay at least at 200x for more than a week without this happening (2 months ago).

Since then, I've installed new indicators and wrote several different strategies.

My current strategies are very simple, and I've uninstalled strategies and indicators that recently installed yet not using.

Is there something else that I can do so that I can regain the speed that my installation once had? Is there debugging that I can turn on to find out why it crashes and is slower overall now? Or should I upgrade (I'm on 64 bit version 7.0.1000.27)?

You have restarted NT?
    Or still running the same instance?

It's been detailed here on how to slow it down and crash it.

What does you task manager show for memory usage?
    How much memory do you have?

Comment

Hello micprice,

Thank you for your post.

In general we recommend using a single workspace for Market Replay, a specific one designed for Replay alone.

How many workspaces do you normally run? You can check this under File > Workspaces. Your active workspace will have a check mark on it.

Comment

Thanks for your quick responses. My computer has 1.61 TB of free space. I have 12 GB of RAM. My computer is set to use 1856 MB of virtual memory (paging file).

When I run NT, the CPU ranges from .1% to 15%. It goes on the high end when I move the replay slider to a different date, or start a new replay (e.g,. hit play). I also notice that as it runs, the CPU can pop up to the high end but then come back down. It mostly stays in the 1-5% range.

In terms of workspaces, I have only two active spaces open -- one with a checkmark (my active one), and one "Untitled" one which is pretty much blank. My active one has two graphs open with approximately 4 indicators each, and I'm testing 20 different strategy instances (which I can guess is contributing to the slowdown). E.g., two different strategies with 10 different timeframes/bar types (to spread the risk).

I'm not sure what a replay workspace should look like...? Also, should I try allocating a bigger paging file size? I can't find the post that says how to slow down and crash NT -- are there specific things that I shouldn't be doing (like loading too many indicators)?

Comment

Hello micprice,

Thank you for your response.

As far as the workspaces, that should be okay to run with. With the 20 strategies this could be causing the issue. Your PC hardware would not be the concern here, but rather the software itself.

If you can reduce the number of running strategies please do so. You can also try reducing any Print() or Log() statements in the code. Disable Debugging if it is enabled for the strategies. And any drawing objects that you can comment out.

For information on our performance tips please visit the following link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ance_tips2.htm

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Thanks Patrick -- I'll give your feedback a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by micprice View Post
              I can't find the post that says how to slow down and crash NT -- are there specific things that I shouldn't be doing (like loading too many indicators)?
              You should have more luck with 64 bit NT since you have the memory.

If you are having a lot of trades, you should restart NT each market replay session also.

Most recent here:

original here:

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post DynamicTest  
              Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
              4 responses