Question about leverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about leverage

Hey. So I'm really new to forex and I jut downloaded ninjatrader and I'm trying to use the sim. I put 25k into an account and it says buting power is 50k. I assumed this is the same putting in 1k on a 50:1 leverage? Correct me if I'm wrong.

So. My second question is, if there is 50k, why does it let me buy lots, hitch are 100k. Am I misunderstanding something??

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. After testing on my end, this appears to be an issue related to trading forex on the Sim101 account. On my end, I see expected order rejections when using futures instruments, but I can place any value of forex trade that I wish, even well beyond the cash value and buying power.

I will be sending in a QA report on this issue, and it is likely to be addressed in a future release of NinjaTrader.
    Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

So it should have rejected my order right? With 50k I should only be able to buy 5 mini lots on forex right?

Comment

Or actually the amount of mini lots would vary based on what currency pair I was buying right

Comment

Yes, you're right. If it were working properly, that order would have been rejected, because you would have had five mini-lots in buying power (5 * 10,000). This would be affected by the pip value of the pair, so in this case we're assuming a pair that gains/loses $10 per pip, per lot.

Comment

Could u explain what u meant in this sentence. It confused me a bit

This would be affected by the pip value of the pair, so in this case we're assuming a pair that gains/loses $10 per pip, per lot.

Also, has anyone else reported that glitch where they could buy more than they have. Im surprised I realized it and I know next to nothing

Comment

Hello,

Now that I think of it, pip values actually should not come into play here, so you can ignore that. Five mini lots should equal 50,000 units of the base currency regardless of which pair you are viewing.

I've not heard any reports of this yet, but as I said, I'll make sure that it is documented and tracked.

Comment

Oh ok. Thank u so much. So if I had 50k usd. I wouldn't be able to even buy 5 mini lots of eurusd, because the euro is worth more right?

Comment

I believe that is the case. With the current exchange rate of 1.11, 50k worth of Euros would require $55,500 USD. I could be wrong about this, though. I personally always traded well below my margin in forex, so I never came up against this issue.

I would recommend contacting a broker to get a more definitive answer, just in case I am mistaken.

Comment

Thank u so much. I see that it tracks how many times u get thanked. Do I have to press something specific for that?

Comment

The Thanks button is right at the bottom-right of my post. And now you have your first Thanks, as well.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by geddyisodin, Yesterday, 05:20 AM
                      7 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                      Started by gbourque, Today, 06:39 AM
                      2 responses
                      0 likes