Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfilled limit order

Dear sirs

i am using NT chart trader and sometimes happens my limit sell (or buy) order is not filled during real time market testing even tough the market goes one/two ticks beyond my limit price.
    Which could be the reason ?

Rgds

Max

Hello Max,

Thank you for writing in. If the market is moving very fast and your limit offset is set to a very low value, the market may move beyond your limit before it can be filled.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_MichaelM; 06-16-2015, 08:53 AM.
    Michael M.NinjaTrader Quality Assurance

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_MichaelM View Post
      Hello Max,

Thank you for writing in. If the market is moving very fast and your limit offset is set to a very low value, the market may move beyond your limit before it can be filled.

You can adjust the limit offset after the order has been placed (but not filled) by left clicking on the number that appears in the order 'flag' on the chart itself, changing the value in the text box that pops up, and clicking the check mark button.

Hi Michael

first thanks for answering , then something escapes me , if I do as you said I can modify the number of contracts traded not the offset ... by the way where it is this setting (offset for the limit orders)?
      I am using simple sell limit orders above the market , so in my understanding if market price goes above my limit price (to sell) I must be filled in real time .... I could not be filled if the market just touches my limit price and falls back (because my order is the queue) .

Comment

Hello Max,

The information I was providing was in relation to stop limit orders and not regular limit orders. I apologize for the confusion. I see now that you were talking about limit orders specifically. To answer your question:

There is no limit offset for a regular limit order. If the market is moving very fast it can reach your limit and reverse without your order being filled. This is because there are other orders ahead of yours and the market can change price without filling every order in the order queue.

If you need to be sure your order is filled once a certain price is reached, you would likely use a stop order. There are two types of stop orders:

-A stop market order (Sell Stop or Buy Stop) which would submit a market order once the stop price was reached.

-A stop limit order (Sell Stop Limit or Buy Stop Limit) which once the market reaches the stop price, a limit order would be placed which could fill at the limit price or up to the offset number of ticks away from the limit price.

If using stop limit orders, the default stop limit offset value can be set in the Chart Trader properties window (Right click Chart Trader -> Chart Trader Properties... -> Stop limit offset) or it can be set in the first text box that pops up when placing a new stop limit order.

Last edited by NinjaTrader_MichaelM; 06-16-2015, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Ok thanks , so basically i could not be filled even tough market passes my limit order.

Comment

Originally posted by max1ci6 View Post
            Dear sirs

i am using NT chart trader and sometimes happens my limit sell (or buy) order is not filled during real time market testing even tough the market goes one/two ticks beyond my limit price.
            Which could be the reason ?

Rgds

Max
            Look in our log. You will generally find in there why an order is ignored.

Comment

Hello Max,

What koganam said is correct, you can always check the log tab in your control center to see information about your orders.

Last edited by NinjaTrader_MichaelM; 06-16-2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by max1ci6 View Post
                Ok thanks , so basically i could not be filled even tough market passes my limit order.
                No. Limit Orders are to be filled at "stated price or better", so one gets favorable slippage in a fast market.

If you cannot find anything in your log which shows why you were not filled, you may have to make a call to your broker for them to check their logs to find out what happened.

Comment

Hello Max,

To help you determine exactly what happened in this particular situation, can you please send an email to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and provide me with your most current log and trace files.

Attach them to the email and refer to this post.

You will find the log file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder.
                  The log file will be named ‘log.20150616.txt’

You will find the trace file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.
                  The trace file will be named ‘trace.20150616.txt’

Thank you in advance.

Comment

I agree with the post.
                    Very interesting thanks for sharing.

คาสิโนออนไลน์*ในรูปแบบใหม่ล่าสุดจาก ปอยเปต คาสิโน รีสอร์ท ได้ที่นี่ royal1688

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Gerik, Today, 09:40 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                    Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB