Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATM Trailing Stop, 3 Step Strategy

Hello,

I'm trying to set up an ATM trailing stop strategy and want to see if I've made any mistakes in what I'm planning to do.

Please let me know if this is a legitimate strategy and if there are any mistakes that need to be corrected.

With this Auto Trail 3 Step strategy, the following should occur based on my understanding:

• Upon entry, an initial Stop Loss will be placed $150 from your entry.

• A Profit Target will be placed at $150 from your entry.

• The tick value for the YM is '1' and the Point Value is $5. So in the Stop Strategy dialogue, in 'Step 1' of the Auto Trail, the Profit trigger indicates that when you have a $100 profit (20 ticks x $5), the Stop Loss will then trail your position by $100 (20 ticks x $5).

So at this point, you've set it up for breakeven if prices turn against you by $100 or more. You're long and prices move up by $100, so you've guaranteed breakeven at this point.

• The Frequency dictates that the trailing Stop Loss will be moved each time prices move up by $100 (20 ticks x $5).

• Prices move up by another $100. So at this point, you have $100 of profit and a Stop $50 from your position. The Profit trigger in 'Step 2' indicates that when you have an additional $50 profit (10 ticks x $5), the Stop Loss will then trail your position by $50 (10 ticks x $5). So at this point, you've locked in $50 of profit.

• The Frequency dictates that the trailing Stop Loss will be moved each time prices move up by $50 (10 ticks x $5)

• You currently have locked in $50 of profit. The Profit trigger in 'Step 3' indicates that when you have an additional $200 of profit (40 ticks x $5), the Stop Loss will then trail your position by $50 (10 ticks x $5). Prices move up by $200. So at this point, you've locked in $200 of profit ($50 of profit locked in + $200 move and $50 Stop.

• The Frequency dictates that the trailing Stop Loss will be moved each time prices move up by $100 (20 ticks x $5)

• You currently have $200 of profit locked in with your Stop strategy. Prices move up by $100, so at this time you've locked in $250 of profit with your $50 trailing Stop. Prices then move up by another $100 giving you $350 of profit, so now you've locked in $300 of profit. Prices then move up by another $100 giving you $400 of profit, so now you've locked in $350 of profit. And this continues until you get stopped out, or the market closes.

A screenshot is attached.

Would this strategy work, or have I set it up incorrectly?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by i2w8am9ii2; 06-26-2015, 03:57 PM.

Originally posted by i2w8am9ii2 View Post
    Hello,

Would this strategy work, or have I set it up incorrectly?
    That's what Market Replay or Sim101 during live is for.

Never setup a 3 step ATM, so I can't exactly comment on it.

Comment

Hello,

You are understanding the Stop Strategy perfectly, but the way that the original ATM Strategy parameters will work is different than what you expect. With the "Price" parameter type, you are specifying that you would like to place both the stop loss and profit target at a price of $150 (at the exact same point).

There is not a way to specify a certain dollar amount above and below the entry point to place the stop loss and profit target, but you could accomplish this by switching the parameter type back to "Ticks," then entering a number of ticks that will equate to $150 gain/loss.
      Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thanks for the reply sledge,

How do I do a Market Replay? Someone told me but I forget and cannot find it in NinjaTrader.

Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to go through my ATM strategy and reply Dave,

Okay, so if I change the initial ATM Strategy parameters to Ticks, then the rest of my strategy would work?

Comment

The links below will get you up and running quickly with Market Replay:

http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ket_replay.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgB1...56536A44DD7105

We have a weekly series of live, interactive webinars featuring tips and tutorials on using different features of NinjaTrader that can be very useful as you become familiar with NinjaTrader. You can see a schedule of upcoming live webinar events at the link below:

If you cannot attend a live event, feel free to watch any of the pre-recorded versions of these events at your leisure. You can find a list of pre-recorded events at the link below:

Recordings of our daily NinjaTrader product training webinars.
            Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by i2w8am9ii2 View Post
              Thanks for the reply sledge,

How do I do a Market Replay? Someone told me but I forget and cannot find it in NinjaTrader.

There's a bunch of youtubes also

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

and if you want to download more than 1 day of data a time, there are also places that do it for free (also on the google search).

Comment

Thanks Dave and thanks sledge,

I appreciate the links and info very much.

Take care,

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                2 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post wzgy0920  
                Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
                5 responses
                0 likes