Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

New laptop. Ninja installed. Import from NTBK file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New laptop. Ninja installed. Import from NTBK file?

I have been using NT 7 on my existing laptop for some time and I have various workspaces, templates, custom indicators etc.

I have a new laptop and I have installed NT 7 on it. I want to copy over as much as possible in terms of settings, workspaces, indicators, data etc.

To date, other than install NT 7 on the new laptop I have not added any charts or done anything on the version of NT installed on the new laptop.

On the old laptop I used the backup option and I have the ntbk file. When I did the backup, I checked every possible option before doing the backup e.g. config files, templates.

If I restore from the that file to the version of NinjaTrader on the new laptop should that cover everything or are there other considerations that I need to take into account?

Hello skiguy,

Thank you for your post.

The restore from the backup you made would restore all necessary files.
    If you have any questions please let me know.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

I restored the ntbk file. During the restore I got a message saying Ninja Script files could not be restored. Also the summary at the end of the restore reported that.

I think this also had a flow on effect in that the workspaces and charts etc that I could see in NT afterwards did not reflect the situation in NT at the time of the backup.

I have other backups and I compared the workspace folder contents for example.

Also the workspaces in NT do not reflect the contents of the ntbk file. I opened the ntbk file with notepad and could see workspaces there that did not show up in NT after the restore from the ntbk file.

I am guessing that it could be caused by charts using indicators that did not get imported and that had a massive flow on effect.

Please let me know how to resolve the issue.

Comment

Hello,
        This indicates that the file structure of your PC has changed so the references to your assemblies are no longer the same.
        To resolve this the files will need to be manually added and have the correct references added.
        To do this complete the steps below.

* Exit NinjaTrader
        * Show the extensions of your files: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ions=windows-7
        * Change the extension of your NinjaTrader backup file to .zip by right clicking on the file and selecting Rename
        * Open the zip file and go to

* bin\Custom

* Open the following directory within Windows

* Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom

* Copy the contents within the backup folder into the NinjaTrader folder
        * Start NinjaTrader and go to Tools> Edit NinjaScript> Indicator
        * Select ANY indicator and press OK
        * Add references to your assemblies and compile: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/m...yReference.mp4

If we can be of any other assistance please let us know.
        Cody B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest update

Thanks Cody.

I did that and the folder structure and files looked to be good as I know the folder structure etc pretty well.

Renaming it as a zip file and opening it made all the difference in terms of being able to read exactly what was in the NTBK file

So I copied the files in the Custom folder only and then opened NT.

Now I expected errors when I compiled as you had suggested and what I thought from my own observations. When I compiled I did not get any errors at all. So to be sure I compiled another indicator (knowing I did not really need to) and again no error.

so then I applied one of my custom indicators to one of my charts and all my indicators showed in the list and I applied one of them. Worked fine.

So current status is:

workspaces etc from the NTBK file are loaded into NT however the charts do not have the indicators as at the time of the backup due to the restore issue error.

data appears to be current as at the time of the backup

Where to from here?

Do I do another restore so that the chart properties are imported now the indicators are okay?

But won't the restore wipe my recently compiled indicators?

On a restore what controls what is imported e.g. can I maybe copy and change the info.xml file so it does not restore scripts?

Do I do a manual copy of the individual workspaces from the backup zip file and then everything will be okay? I can see that the individual workspace files in the backup file have the indicators applied as at the time of the backup.

Happy to email my files etc. Can we maybe do a remote session to resolve this next step efficiently?

Bottom line

Need to have my charts as they were at the time of the backup given that there are no compile errors after I copied in my custom indicators.

Comment

so for example if I change the value in the backup info.xml file

<NinjaTrader><Backup><ConfigFile>True</ConfigFile><ChartData>True</ChartData><Database>True</Database><LogsTraces>True</LogsTraces><MarketReplayFiles>True</MarketReplayFiles><NinjaScript>True</NinjaScript>

<NinjaScript>True</NinjaScript>

if I change that to false would that help?

on the restore is the backup file info.xml used?

can this be a workaround so that my workspace data is imported but there are no script issues as all my scripts that I need are already in NT (see earlier emails).

Comment

Hello,
              Skiguy I would like to schedule a remote support call with you to resolve this. Please send a note to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrder[DOT]com with a time frame that you are available.
              I look forward to assisting you.
              Cody B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Update

Thanks Cody.

I tried my idea from below and so far so good.

I will continue to monitor but so far as I can see to date everything is okay.

"Do I do a manual copy of the individual workspaces from the backup zip file and then everything will be okay? I can see that the individual workspace files in the backup file have the indicators applied as at the time of the backup".

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by MacDad, 02-25-2024, 11:48 PM
                7 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post loganjarosz123  
                Started by Belfortbucks, Today, 09:29 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Belfortbucks