Backing up workspaces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing up workspaces?

Windows restarted my pc when I wasn't looking, and it seems that when a crash or restart occurs without saving a workspace that workspace is lost. Are the workspaces not automatically backed up somewhere? Is there a way to manually back up a workspace, if it's not done automatically? Is there no "go to last used configuration" with regard to workspaces? There must be a way to avoid having to completely reconfigure all my charts when something like this happens, but I couldn't find it. Thanks.

I haven't seen it. Maybe NT support has an answer (or can add such a feature to open up last configured workspace?)

Based on some experience, if I set up something I like - I save name it and save it immediately.

There is that 'untitled' option - but it doesn't sound like you had a chance to save it as such.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
      I haven't seen it. Maybe NT support has an answer (or can add such a feature to open up last configured workspace?)

Based on some experience, if I set up something I like - I save name it and save it immediately.

There is that 'untitled' option - but it doesn't sound like you had a chance to save it as such.
      Thanks, but my understanding based on looking at other posts is that once a workspace is opened it is vulnerable to being lost until you close/save it again. Quotetracker simply had a "last used configuration," if you lost something or messed something up you could just go back to the previous set up. I hope NT now has something like this, or there's a way to save it outside NT, and then import it if necessary.

Comment

Hello alanack,

Unfortunately if the workspace is not saved and NinjaTrader is restarted, the workspace will be lost. The workspace needs to be saved if you like to use it in a next session. I recommend to save the workspace as soon as you created it as sledge mentions. That way you will not lose it if Windows restarts your computer or if you experience a crash.

Please avoid shutting down NinjaTrader via the Windows task bar. If you right click NinjaTrader in the Windows task bar and select Close, it will close all charts and other windows first and subsequently you will be prompted to save your workspaces. If you now click Yes, it will be saved without the charts and other windows.

There is no "last used configuration" option in NinjaTrader.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason, let me see if I understand you. Once I open an existing workspace, the first thing I should do is save it, and it will not be lost should I experience a crash or an unexpected restart while away from the computer? This is a little confusing, as I'm not talking about a workspace that was just created, I'm talking about one that was saved previously and just opened. Thanks.

Comment

Hello alanack,

Thank you for your post. It would be unexpected for a previously-saved workspace to not be restored if NinjaTrader is closed normally, the restart may have interfered with this working correctly.

There is an option in NinjaTrader to backup your workspace so you won't need to re-configure if this happens again.

To backup, disconnect and go to File > Utilities > Backup...

Please see the below section of our help guide for more on Backing Up and Restoring with NinjaTrader.

http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...p__restore.htm
            Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Eric,
              This is what I was hoping for. I did try to find ways to back up workspaces in the help guide and index, I just didn't see anything on it anywhere. Thanks, I'll give it a try. Just one question, though - what do you mean by disconnect?
              Last edited by alanack; 07-16-2015, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by mgco4you, Today, 09:46 PM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
              Started by wzgy0920, Today, 09:53 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post wzgy0920