Maintaining a charts library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintaining a charts library

I often open a chart, draw trend lines etc and then would like to be able to save it away for future reference. Is there a way to do this in NT? From what I can see once I close a chart, all trendline details are gone. If I keep the chart open then it consumes resources and it could be one of 100 charts I have annotated over time.
    Perhaps there is a way I could use workspaces to save my chart markups?

Hello GlennL,

Drawing objects in charts are saved when you save the workspace. If you save the workspace after you drew all objects you like, subsequently you restart NinjaTrader, you will still have all the drawing objects.

Please do not delete charts that have drawing objects. If you subsequently save the workspace, the chart with the drawing objects will be gone.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

So if I have 100 securities that I want to keep various trendlines, timeframes, notes etc on their charts, then I need to keep those 100 charts open all the time and they will always be getting data from my connections and consuming CPU resources etc.

Comment

Yes, unfortunately you will need to keep the charts opened to maintain the drawing objects.

Comment

Jason,
          There is a brilliant feature in NT that gives me the charts library I am looking for.
          In summary, if I use the one chart window and just change the security being drawn in it each time, I have discovered that NT remembers all of the chart objects I have drawn for each security. In essence it has a chart library for me. It seems to be using the Attach to feature to remember which security the drawing objects relate to.
          Again, brilliant. This feature needs to be told to everyone and please make sure it does not disappear in NT8.
          Regards
          Glenn

Comment

Please download and test

Comment

Jason,
              I mentioned in this thread recently about a great feature in NT viz., that the charts remember drawing objects. I have been away for a few weeks and when I started looking at the charts again, all of my previous chart markups have disappeared. Is there a setting that starts/stops drawing objects from being shown on a chart? Is there a directory that these are drawn in and somehow I deleted then? Please help as I have a lot of history that I have somehow lost.

Comment

Hello GlennL,

Drawing objects are automatically removed after 20 days. There is a workaround listed at the forum thread below (post #17).

Please note that this is not a supported technique and we do not encourage customers to change this value. Knowing this, we will not be able to provide further assistance in this area beyond what has been posted in this thread. We also cannot guarantee that this workaround will not change in the future without notice.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Jason. I will use the workaround but it would have been nice to have known about the limitation when I made the post below back in October about using drawing objects to maintain a library of charts.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by nandhumca, Yesterday, 03:41 PM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                  Started by The_Sec, Yesterday, 03:37 PM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby