Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to start charting with EOD data files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to start charting with EOD data files?

Hi,

Let's assume that the instrument that I wish to add is Test and I've got a Test.txt file that has all the data in it in the requisite format (yyyyMMdd & ";" instead of ",". How do I get the charting to start? I've created an instrument in the default group called Test1 and imported data for it as well. But I'm still unable to come up with a basic chart - all I get is a blank chart with 0 and 0.01 on the Y-axis.

Also, when I add the instrument to the instrument manager, what name do I give for it in my symbol map?

I've tried reading articles/posts, to no avail. In fact, charts are not opening up for any of the instruments for me - it's merely blank. I'm unsure what the problem is.

Can someone please help me?

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Taking a step back, which instrument's data are you working with? When importing the data in to NinjaTrader, what name was assigned to the file?
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi, I'm trying to load the data for BANKNIFTY, which is an index on the Indian NSE. On Google Finance, it has the symbol NSE:BANKNIFTY
      I named the file BANKNIFTY.txt and it gets imported.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
        Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Taking a step back, which instrument's data are you working with? When importing the data in to NinjaTrader, what name was assigned to the file?
        In fact, the charts for all the instruments, even in the default list, come out as blank.

Comment

Thank you for your reply,

You will need to add the index in NinjaTrader in order to plot it successfully on a chart. NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument.

Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.

From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools> Instrument Manager
          Press the 'New' button
          *Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
          Fill in any relevant information under the 'Misc' tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivity provider
          Press the 'OK' button
          * If you wish to add an equity, this can be accomplished without following the steps above. Just open a chart (for example) and start typing in the symbol and a new instrument is automatically created.

The instrument is now added to the master instrument list.

Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.

Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the 'Instrument lists' drop down list in the upper left hand corner
          Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
          Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
          Press the '<' button to add the instrument to the list
          You are now complete and can press the 'OK' button.
          Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The index name exists in Ninja Trader's data series. Thanks, but the graph still turns out as a blank one, as attached.

That's what I need help with.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_EricB View Post

You will need to add the index in NinjaTrader in order to plot it successfully on a chart. NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument.

Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.

From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools> Instrument Manager
            Press the 'New' button
            *Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
            Fill in any relevant information under the 'Misc' tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivity provider
            Press the 'OK' button
            * If you wish to add an equity, this can be accomplished without following the steps above. Just open a chart (for example) and start typing in the symbol and a new instrument is automatically created.

The instrument is now added to the master instrument list.

Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.

Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the 'Instrument lists' drop down list in the upper left hand corner
            Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
            Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
            Press the '<' button to add the instrument to the list
            You are now complete and can press the 'OK' button.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by eey0069; 08-17-2015, 09:49 AM. Reason: Forgot attachment.

Comment

Can you please attach the txt. files so I may test them on my end?

Also, can you please attach screens shots of the setting you have entered in the custom instrument?

Comment

Sure. Here you go.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_EricB View Post
                Can you please attach the txt. files so I may test them on my end?

Also, can you please attach screens shots of the setting you have entered in the custom instrument?
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello eey0069,

Thank you for sending those files, sorry for the confusion.. What you will need to do to import and view the data successfully is rename the "BANKNIFTY.txt" file as "^NIFTY.txt" and then re-import.

This way you will be able to use the Nifty Index instrument that comes with NinjaTrader to view the daily data. (Tools > Instrument Manager > Search "Nifty"under the same section. Select the Index with a single left-mouse click and use the lower "<" to add it to your Default Instrument List. Press OK to save the settings).

Comment

NIFTY is a different index altogether from BANKNIFTY. BANKNIFTY is the index that I'm looking for. Why is it that I would rename the BANKNIFTY.txt file to NIFTY.txt?

Also, as you can see from the attachment, I can see that the file has been imported. I'm merely not able to get it on the chart thereon. Can you please help me with that bit?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by eey0069; 08-17-2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Yes -- Please go to File > New > Chart. Enter "BANKNIFTY" in the top left test box and press Enter. In the right parameters, select Day from the Type drop-down menu and press OK.

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
                        4 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post bmartz
                        by bmartz