Collapse

Windows 10, 'Task View', and Multiple Desktops and Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am very glad this advice helped to get your charts working as expected.

Please follow up with my colleague through e-mail support regarding the additional features you mentioned around transferring objects between workspaces. And please don't hesitate to reach out if there are any other ways we can help.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Jessica and thanks.

I may have spoken too soon.

First, the good - for those interested, if it suits your purpose, if you use the Task View Menu Shortcut 'Move to DesktopX', then the 'double chart thumbnails requiring to be Checked doesn't come into play, it just works. By 'if it suits your purpose' I mean that this obviously 'Moves' the Window from one Desktop to another, rather than Duplicates which is what the other and OP was about (but actually I was duplicating because couldn't figure how to move )

Second - the bad, maybe. When I Saved and reopened my multiple Virtual Desktop Workspace, everything from the two Virtual Desktops were in a single Desktop? Any ideas? Operator error or NT? If you know, it will save me chasing a wild goose

Kind regards

Comment

The bad here is expected. virtual desktops in Windows 10 are supported, however, with limitation.

Workspaces cannot be saved across multiple virtual desktops. There is currently a feature request for this.. The tracking number is SFT-926. I've added your vote.

Comment

Hello Patrick and thanks.
          That seems to me quite a humdinger of a limitation that has me scratching my head as to how it is useful without that ability.

Anyhoo, my objective is to have one 'space' - let's call it 'observation space' with multiple instrument higher timeframe charts (say 6 instruments with day, hour and 15min charts), and another 'trading space(s)' with fewer instruments, each with multiple timeframe charts (say 2 instruments each with 5min, 1min, 10sec charts and a DOM). I watch all instruments on the 'Observation space' and if I see something I want to trade, switch to the appropriate 'trading space'. Any suggestions on how to go about something like that? If I run two Workspaces and switch between them, things like 'global' drawing tools are not pervasive between them, default templates etc. Virtual Desktops seemed to be a way, and I'm fairly certain I could do that with NT7 on my laptop setup, under Win 8.1 and 10. I seem to keep heading off down what turn out (50 hours invested later) to be dead ends :-(
          Any suggestions most welcome

Comment

I notice the exact same behavior in NinjaTrader 7 and NinjaTrader 8 when attempting to load a workspace which spans across multiple virtual desktops - all windows are moved to the desktop which is currently in view.

It sounds like the only current solution for you would be to try to reduce the total amount of windows so that they can fit in your available physical desktop space.

You may be able to utilize window linking to reduce the total amount of windows. Here is an overview of that feature:

Comment

Hello Patrick and thanks.
              Hmmmm, NT7 same. Could have sworn... old age doesn't come alone. Laptop was a simple setup, maybe it didn't bother me to move a couple of charts across.
              Thanks for link to Links. I use Instrument Links but come across limitations e.g. if charts are specific to an Instrument, for example if use Custom chart template with instrument specific settings, then not a solution. I link all charts for an Instrument and DOM this way, works for contract rollover. Not sure what to use Interval Link for. I'm aware of it from New Features. It tells me what it does, but not why or how I might benefit from investigating using it.
              Thanks and kind regards

Comment

I was mainly referring to the instrument link. I am uncertain if the interval link would useful for your end goal.

Interval link would be useful if your desire was to change the interval on multiple charts.

Here is a video example:

Comment

Hello Patrick and thanks for putting the video together and being helpful. I knew what Interval Links does 'cos I familiarised myself with all the New Features before embarking on migrating (and as a user of Instrument Links in 7 it's fairly self-explanatory), so I could take advantage of them to improve my setup in the process, where possible. I'm just not sure where I or anyone would use them. That does not suggest I think the functionality is useless, nor that you guys waste your time adding irrelevant features that users haven't asked for. Rather, that I can't see it and would be interested in examples of how and why people use it/what drove you to provide it, because such may be helpful to achieving my objectives.
                  I can of course simply replicate my 7 Setup, but starting from square one I was hoping to improve upon it yet keep hitting snags/limitations seemingly at every turn.
                  What led me to this thread was Task View/Virtual Desktops and that failed. JessicaP waxes lyrical about her own use of it, and omits to mention you can't save your Workspace. Absolutely beyond my comprehension a) that you can't and b) that, as a User, she doesn't mention that rather critical piece of info. DisplayFusion is suggested by a User, so it seems NT8 works in it. However it is 3rd party software and I'm trying to stick to Win10/NT8 ZERO third-party and hitting problems at every turn. I guess that's what keeps 3rd parties in business.
                  Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Mizzouman1, Today, 07:35 AM
                  4 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Mizzouman1  
                  Started by philmg, Today, 01:17 PM
                  1 response
                  0 likes