Selective Refresh of Chart Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selective Refresh of Chart Data

Firstly, I read in one post that there is a Reload button F5, and it reloads all chart data across all workspaces. I have been using on a chart the Right Click > Reload All Historical Data . I thought this was only loading data for the instrument of that chart. Is that correct?
    Secondly, I am using a datafeed from Interactive Brokers TWS. Specifically I am using 2 minute bars and as the ticks occur I can see the bars being built. I am finding that frequently the completed 2min NT bars are not correct (high/low/close/volume) and I have to reload the data as above. This redraws the chart and all is fine. It takes 15-30seconds which is not a lot but when you are looking at 2min bars it is an eternity. Is there a way to do a refresh of only the last bar or a few bars?
    I am also wondering whether I am building the bars correctly???? Are the NT bars being built via ticks or by minute data from TWS? Where is this determined? Under Options > Data > Realtime data I have selected "Save chart data as historical". Perhaps this should not be ticked? What exactly does it do? There is also an option in the same place titled "Filter bad ticks", which I have not got checked but I do not know what it does.
    Alternatively, is there a fix for the API such that the bars are drawn correctly the first time?
    Last edited by GlennL; 08-20-2015, 10:02 PM.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Selecting the Reload All Historical Data option will reload data for all charts which display this instrument in the workspace. For example, if I have two ES 09-15 charts and 1 NQ 09-15 chart and I reload data in one of the ES 09-15 charts data would reload in both ES 09-15 charts but the NQ 09-15 chart would not be reloaded.

In terms of the data issues which you mentioned, please answer the following questions:
    1.) Which version of NinjaTrader are you using? (Help > About)
    2.) Which build of Interactive Brokers TWS are you using? (Help > About Trader Workstation)
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for clarifying the reload data point.
      You responded to my post very quickly and I was in fact editing it at the time. I changed the second part which I have included below in italics.
      In response to your version questions, I am using NT7.0.1000.29 and TWS 944. I might be using a later version of TWS than you recommend but on talking to Interactive Brokers, little if anything has changed in the API side of things.

Is there a way to do a refresh of only the last bar or a few bars?
      I am also wondering whether I am building the bars correctly???? Are the NT bars being built via ticks or by minute data from TWS? Where is this determined? Under Options > Data > Realtime data I have selected "Save chart data as historical". Perhaps this should not be ticked? What exactly does it do? There is also an option in the same place titled "Filter bad ticks", which I have not got checked but I do not know what it does.
      Alternatively, is there a fix for the API such that the bars are drawn correctly the first time?

Comment

Hello,

There is no way to refresh only a select number of bars in a chart. The 'Save chart data as historical' option can be disabled (as your data provider offers historical data) but it should have no impact on this matter.

So that we can further investigate why the bars are changing values after historical data is reloaded please contact me at PlatformSupport [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com. In the message please include a link to this forum thread and a copy of today's trace file. The trace file is found in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder. I will need a copy of the file which is named 'trace.20150820.txt'.

Comment

I have sent you through the trace file.
          In regards to where NT gets its bar High/Low/Close and volume, I can see every second, the updates to the 2 minute bar on the chart....it literally gets built in front of me. What happens when it moves onto the next bar i.e., is my bar rebuilt using minute data or is it built based on the ticks that have come through? Is there an option that controls this?

Comment

Hello,

I have just responded to your email. Please send all other questions to me through that email so that I can manage your case more effectively.

At the end of one bar NinjaTrader opens another as the next tick is received. There is not an option which controls this.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by reynoldsn, Today, 02:34 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post reynoldsn  
            Started by nightstalker, Today, 02:05 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes