Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NYSE Open volume froze NT. Restarted but NT running 3 minutes late after 15 mins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYSE Open volume froze NT. Restarted but NT running 3 minutes late after 15 mins!

Been having serious trouble with NT over the last 2 weeks. As soon as high volume data hits system, anythign over 40k per 5 mins it seems, NT charts will start slowing down and run behind real-time. After 15 minutes of running, the data is coming in 3+ minutes late.

Today was troublesome, but even worse. As soon as the 09:30 EDT open came NT froze after 5k volume and had to be restarted. When restarted, data was immediately delayed up to 30 seconds or more, and progressively worse.

Also found most of the Globex data had gone so tried to Reload Historical Data but it just showed 'Loading data' at top left of screen and never updated. Got to 3+ minutes behind actual time and shutdown to come here.

I see a lot of similar problems over the recent week or so, and quite likely not just me then??

I attach log and trace files here to save time. I cannot trade at all.

Look forward to your help.

Using Kinetick data feed. Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

UPDATE. After restarting NT on completing this report, my main ES 2000 tick chart has now lost its Globex data plus RTH data up to 1000hrs EDT today!! My 5 min chart is normal.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RichardHK; 08-25-2015, 08:51 AM.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

This seems performance related. With the high volatility of the market and the items you have loaded, your system may not be able to hand this.

As a test, please take the following steps to force NinjaTrader to start without your saved workspace. You will have the option to reopen these after our tests.

Shut down NinjaTrader

Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\workspaces

Delete the file named "_Workspaces.XML". DO NOT delete the 'workspaces' folder - only delete the '_Workspaces.XML' file within the 'workspaces' folder

After deleting this file, restart NinjaTrader which should startup without any workspaces.

Once NinjaTrader has started on just the control center, please open a new chart with no custom bar types/indicators/templates and test for issue.

*Please note this will not delete your workspace however the new blank workspace will be named Untitled1. If you have a workspace already named Untitled1 however you will not want to save the workspace when exiting NinjaTrader, otherwise it will overwrite it.

If there are no issues on this new workspace, please try opening the previous workspace by going to File--> Workspaces--> Open workspace.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over performance tips.

BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by RichardHK View Post
      Been having serious trouble with NT over the last 2 weeks.

I attach log and trace files here to save time. I cannot trade at all.

Look forward to your help.

Using Kinetick data feed. Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

UPDATE. After restarting NT on completing this report, my main ES 2000 tick chart has now lost its Globex data plus RTH data up to 1000hrs EDT today!! My 5 min chart is normal.
      Scan your main drive under Windows explorer for errors and maybe fix errors if found.

It maybe on its way to the grave yard.

If no errors try a Defrag on it? Might want to make backup first.

Are you recording data for market replay ?

Comment

Thanks for your input Sledge,
        Quite possible my upgraded PC (top CPU/mobo/RAM) but with older hard drives is the trouble! I will do as you say and go through a full PC health check and let you know what I find.
        No, not recording data for MS. I just download that later as needed.

Comment

Thanks Brendan,
          Yes, seems to be a performance issue. Everything Ok again now market has slowed down. Have been through 18 months of trouble-free operation since PC upgrade, but as Sledge notes, just maybe my system hard drive needs some attention.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardHK View Post
            Thanks Brendan,
            Yes, seems to be a performance issue. Everything Ok again now market has slowed down. Have been through 18 months of trouble-free operation since PC upgrade, but as Sledge notes, just maybe my system hard drive needs some attention.
            The previous user could definitely be onto something, but do not underestimate the volume increase we've had in the last few days. The more ticks the exchange sends out, the more CPU cycles that need to be processed by NinjaTrader. This means a workspace/chart setup that was working fine for the last 18~ months may not now have the overhead to keep up with the sheer number of ticks that are being processed in the last few days.

You should review your workspace and where possible:
            • Reduce the number of days to load,
            • Remove redundant charts and indicators,
            • Set some chart indicators to calculate to CalculateOnBarClose = true,
            • Or even set the "Display update interval" to a higher value on your chart

The Display Update Interval is a Chart Property setting that often gets overlooked as this determines how often the chart visually updates when a tick is received. While it's desirable to have most of your charts update as frequently as possible, in my experience users have many charts they are not looking at often, but these charts are using just as much CPU power as the rest of the charts to visually update.

For example, you may have some tick charts that you're constantly watching, but also some Daily or minute time frames which do not need as much attention - setting the "Display update interval" to a higher number (i..e, update less frequently) can dramatically improve and optimize your workspace and let NinjaTrader focus on processing the information that is most relevant to your trading.
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thanks Matthew, (and all)

Yes, I had already made all of those NT chart setup changes, except for the 'Display Update Interval' which I have now tackled.
              1. Hard drives: System and Data drives Chkdsk and defrag Ok (defrag already Ok at 2%).
              2. Memory optimized (got 16GB)
              3. CPU only runs at 3% or less (i7 fast)
              4. Network less than 1Mbps for ninjatrader.exe (was running earlier this week on IQFeed adaptor at anywhere from 10 to 40 Mbps!!! Back on native Kinetick and thought I had solved problem, but no.)

I removed 6 chart windows when going through the above work earlier this week.

Only other anomaly at present is that NT is sometimes failing to exit and need to use Windows Task Manager to kill it. Tells me waiting for my input.

Frustration is that I need to wait for open to get high volume live data to test. But remember, I have handled high volume data on occasions well before the recent hassles which coincided with my IQFeed Adaptor update (v5.1.3) installed on 13 August. But now deleted and network levels very low. But has this affected something?

Today I will see how it goes, and if trouble, will switch to 5 min chart from 2000 tick and see if that helps.

The only other data resource is my Jigsaw trading order flow toolset which I can remove for test tomorrow if needed.

Running Market Replay for yesterday's data slowed down replay and first 5 minutes after NYSE open took 9 minutes to display. This is the same behavior as real-time, and wonder what that tells me!
              Last edited by RichardHK; 08-26-2015, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post bmartz
              by bmartz

Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
              4 responses
              0 likes