Ninja with Rithmic unable to handle data after FOMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninja with Rithmic unable to handle data after FOMC

As today's FOMC announcement came out, my Ninjatrader/Rithmic combo was absolutely unable to handle the high traffic - about five minutes after the report I recognized that Ninja was more than a minute behind, still trying to catch up with reality, time & sales windows showed a delay of approximately 1 min 15 secs - how ugly is that.

Of course I checked with ONE clean chart open only (NO indicators, just a 5-min-chart of the ES 12-15, no other charts and/or instruments) - did not help.
    I disconnected manually but after the reconnect, Ninja was unable to deliver the data from the first 15 to 20 minutes after the report - it loaded everything until one minute before the report, but the "next" 5-Min-Bar displayed, was actually from 20 minutes later (and "reload historical data" was greyed out / not enabled)

I don't know who's delivering the historical data, Ninja or Rithmic, but I'm expecting nothing but the two sides blaming each other, of course - so I'm even too disappointed to investigate any deeper, neither actual nor historical data was correct - how would you trust that.

Oh, and no, it's not my PC, and it's not my line, since I'm using a very stable 1GBit-fibre-connection, and no, my AntiVirus-Software was not updating during these 20 minutes, and I'm using a Win7-Enterprise-PC showing Performance Index 7.7, with 16 Gigs RAM and a Graphics Card, capable to feed a 30" (2560x1600) and three 24"-screens at 1920x1200 very easily at the same time, so it's really, really not a hardware issue at my side.

Would you like to know what was TRULY disappointing? I had a live video stream open on one screen (just as every day) from a trading room, showing that Tradestation had absolutely NO problem handling the data load after the report, same chart settings, even with various different charts on screen, but TS was absolutely positively displaying the huge, but correct data, bar for bar - in fact, TS gave me the idea of having stalled data at my side in first place - when I saw MORE bars on the TS charts than on my NT charts I started thinking that something might be a little off, or should I say a LOT ?

I do feel like working with a toy-software and/or toy-datafeed since today...
    Last edited by RonnyKeller; 09-17-2015, 03:01 PM.

Hello RonnyKeller,

NinjaTrader is aware of the issue. The historical data server did stop recording and we have switched to the backup historical data server.

Please restart NinjaTrader 7 to connect to the backup historical data server and then reload the historical data.

Please let me know if this does not correct the issue.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chelsea

"Please let me know if this does not correct the issue." you wrote. Sure. Ok. I understand.

But - you got to be kidding me, right?

You tell me one hour AFTER today's markets closed, I should reconnect, and this would perhaps "correct the issue" ? In which universe can you go back to trade the moments after the FOMC report, because, you know, you're a DAY-trader ? I mean, really - how can "reconnecting three hours after the fact" help to "correct the issue" of a COMPLETE AND UTTER DISASTER? The unstable situation made it just IMPOSSIBLE TO TRADE !!

So, NO, reconnecting does NOT correct the issue...

Comment

Originally posted by RonnyKeller View Post
        Hi Chelsea

"Please let me know if this does not correct the issue." you wrote. Sure. Ok. I understand.

But - you got to be kidding me, right?

You tell me one hour AFTER today's markets closed, I should reconnect, and this would perhaps "correct the issue" ? In which universe can you go back to trade the moments after the FOMC report, because, you know, you're a DAY-trader ? I mean, really - how can "reconnecting three hours after the fact" help to "correct the issue" of a COMPLETE AND UTTER DISASTER? The unstable situation made it just IMPOSSIBLE TO TRADE !!

So, NO, reconnecting does NOT correct the issue...
        Reconnecting will correct the historical data issue we have identified on our end.

The lagging market data was a separate issue and you're absolutely right that reconnecting will not help. I'd advise sending us an email with a phone number and a good date/time you can be reached. One of our techs can review your setup and see what can be done to overcome the single threaded limitations of NinjaTrader 7 which likely contributed to the delayed market data you reported. (Your PC is far beyond our minimum requirements which tells us the issue is NinjaTrader)

While we can't do anything about your experience this afternoon, I'm sure we can help optimize your installation to ensure you NinjaTrader 7 version can handle key market events in the future. There are several things that can be done to help maximize the core performance of the application to help with these types of situations and we'll be happy to go over this with you one-on-one.
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

RonnyKeller,

Matthew is 100% correct here.

The disconnect and reconnect was to reconnect you with the correct historical data server which should allow you to right-click your chart and select Reload All Historical Data which is grayed out on your system.

After disconnecting and reconnecting the historical data should be available for you to reload which should correct your chart restoring any missing historical data.

May I confirm that disconnecting and reconnecting does not allow you to reload the chart?

The issues with the real-time performance I am happy to diagnose with you as these will be different for each computer. Please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com. In the email please include a link to this forum thread.

Comment

I have no idea if i lagged as i wasn't here.

Here's a 4 range chart. I'll compare time stamps of the recorded data here vs ToS.

Looks like i stayed connected without issue.
            Attached Files

Comment

@Chelsea: reloading historical data works fine now, thank you for your advice

@Matthew: thanks for your explanation. Since it's already midnight here in Europe, I may try to schedule a call for next week to check with you or Chelsea what could be tweaked to handle big data loads better in the future - thank you very much for your offer.

@sledge: thanks for checking your data. To explain it correctly: I was not disconnected by Ninja, I disconnected manually once I found out that 07 minutes 08 seconds after the report was out, Ninja was still busy handling data from 05 minuted 56 seconds after the release (I have a screenshot showing a T&S-window with timestamps, together with the actual clock, showing a delay of 72 seconds during that time) - and it was a bit humbling to watch Tradestation behaving fine.

No harm was done to my account due to all this, so this won't remain "big an issue" for me; I'll probably be just a little more suspicious during future FOMC-days than I already was before today.

Thanks for all your support.

Comment

Ninja/Rithmic combo useless - again

Wow, this time the combo Ninja/Rithmic fails even half an hour prior to the FOMC-announcement, how ugly is that? Getting "Error on loading chart data for 'ES 12-15 Globex: Connection to data server is busy or not available right now. Please try again later."
                Not only is data after the announcement usually way delayed and out of synch - now we have trouble during such a day even BEFORE the announcement? Go figure...

Can't help the feeling that it is REALLY time to move on from here - I assume that there should be at least SOME provider combo which is professional enough to have proper failover handling, infrastructure which deserves the name and the ability to provide trading data AND platform on any given FOMC day... Couldn't be more disappointed...

Comment

Hey RK

I looked at live and my TOS mobile.

TOS mobile dropped under 2070 to 2069 (2:00pm est to 2:02) and it took NT7 about 10 seconds after that(on high priority).

This is here in the US. I was also connected through Teamviewer to view my machine.

Have you considered a VPS? Like speedy trading servers?

Comment

Hello RonnyKeller,

I have not found other reports of users unable to connect to the Rithmic data feed or historical data servers on the morning of 10/28.

If this is a re-occuring issue, we will need to do some network testing on your end. Please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com. In the email please include a link to this forum thread.

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem. I left TS to come to NT. That seems to be a mistake!!!

VERY DISSAPOINTED

Comment

Hello dennis3495,
                        Thanks for your reply.
                        There are no connection issues. You should be able to connect. Email platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com so we can assist you in a resolution.
                        BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                        Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes