NT freezing and data connection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT freezing and data connection.

Just wanted to post this for support to be aware of NT freezing again and again and again. I've already been down the rabbit hole and directed that it must be a issue with my computer (8 core 4.7GHz, 32gb Ram, SSD..) then it must have been data (Same problems happen with CQG and IQfeed) then it was internet connection (16 down, 0.8 up). I've had support log in remote and help but the same freezing continues in fast market conditions from anywhere 5min to 1hr. Spent 3 weeks trying to "correct" the issue.

Since then, run a connection to a different platform at the same time, same computer, same data, same internet..... But no freezing on the other platform while NT is frozen solid. I have the other platform loaded up with charts also across 6 markets.

This has been the only way to semi-overcome this issue and it is a poor solution.

I'm a lifetime license holder and I like the NT platform. I want to use NT. If there is only a single thing to get right with NT8, please make it this. It is so frustrating to watch NT freeze.

Hello,

Thanks for your note.

My name is Drew, and I am the Level II Lead Hand here with NinjaTrader Platform Support. I would first like to note that I can fully understand how frustrating these sorts of issues can be,- especially considering these issues all yield similar, "laggy" behavior.

I can confirm that there are several enhancements to NinjaTrader 8 to assist with getting the most out of a PC's performance. However, in the mean time, I'm happy to assist in troubleshooting the platform as it stands.

I'd like to see your log and trace files. Please send me a note to platformsupport (at) ninjatrader (dot) com. Attach your most current log and trace files to the email, and put a link to this forum post in the body of the email. Please note "ATTN: Drew" in the body of the response.

You will find the log file on your PC in the (My) Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder.

The log file will be named "log.20150922.txt"

You will find the trace file on your PC in the (My) Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.

The trace file will be named "trace.20150922.txt"

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Drew. I have been through sending in the log and trace file repeatedly. It doesn't "fix" the freezing problem. Most days I will be logged in and tracking charts by 5am CDT. None of the charts get changed or added to during the day. Everything works fine up until anywhere between 30min to 5 min from the market open. As soon as major volume starts trading, NT starts skipping and freezing.

Log and Trace files can not fix the underlying bottle neck of a single CPU and heavy .NET coding. NT is the single most resource intensive program running by a long shot. I have been through the log and trace reports getting sent to NT many times. Yes, on some of those occasions there has been a error showing for a indicator or something. Once it is fixed, the same freezing issue comes up again as soon as market volatility picks up again. After spending 3 weeks trying to sort this out and going around in circles, harassing engineers at the ISP and getting them to repeatedly fault find the connection because NT keep saying it must be the connection (Other platforms use the same connection fine), getting the broker to look at it from their end and repeatedly sending in Log and Trace files to NT, I'm just going to have to wait it out until NT8. If I chase this issue each day it happens, I get nothing else done and its just a wasted day as it just happens the next day there is high market volatility. Its only been a major issue for the last month or so since there has been a lot of volatility. Prior to that, there were some small freezes but never locking up for so long.
      The point is, that's how markets can trade at times. The platform needs to be able to handle it in those times.

NT works right up until volume and volatility hits the market. On days when there is not much volatility or volume, NT works fine the whole day. This is a bottle neck issue with the platform and I understand that. NT need to be aware this is a MAJOR issue going forward into the release of NT8.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Based on the information that has been provided, it seems that most of these issue would relate to PC performance. This would be consistent with issues appearing especially prominently during periods of higher market volatility. This is because higher volatility means significantly more data and therefore more PC resources needed to accommodate this data.

At this point, I believe the best course of action would be for us to schedule a call tomorrow morning to address this matter directly. Please send me a note to platformsupport (at) ninjatrader (dot) com. Please note "ATTN: Drew" in the body of the response, and put a link to this forum post in the body of the email.

I just need a few things from you before our call. Please do not list this information if you reply to this Forum post, and only provide this information in our private email.

* A phone number where you can be reached
        * A time window where I can call you (please include a time zone). I can reach out to you Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Eastern time.
        * Shortly before our call please launch our remote support application from the following link, http://www.ninjatrader.com/rs. Once launched, the application will provide you with an ID# and password. I will need these from you once I have you on the phone. Keep the program running for me to connect.

I look forward to our support call.

Comment

2016 - and nothing has changed

... I just can't do it anymore.

FOMC was today at 2pm est.. and as soon as we hit that 2pm and vol spiked ninja just stopped, like if it got pummeled in the face with a hammer, the same way ninja 6 did, ninja 7 does and now 8.. (yeah yeah yeah.. i know the beta excuse and what not...) so as common practice I had to close everything (in the middle of trading with opened positions) and restart, and even after that and about 10 minutes after event ninja just was useless, was hurt for life.. I'm looking at my charts and still says loading.. I have volume in my charts, that's all, no indicators and only had crude and ES open.. so sad so sad so sad..... so that's it for me guys. It was a bad investment, and <removed> big time but I can't trade in frustration expecting this to do that every time we spike in volume. Not sure where to migrate yet, I do have RT pro and is plugged into same accounts so I'll trade with that for now and <removed> me.

Don't ask me for logs or anything.. I'm done for good.

So long NT.. you never stopped <removed> with this situation, never tried, you were never clear with any of us and <removed> your way tru every time this happens, what you forgot all of the emails you got when brexit trading happened?? whatever..... and there is no way this will ever change and all of you know it.. done waiting, done hoping, done asking around for help, done using you. done done <removed> done.
          Last edited by NinjaTrader_DrewO; 09-22-2016, 02:32 PM. Reason: removed profanity

Comment

Originally posted by EminiJalapenio View Post

FOMC was today at 2pm est.. and as soon as we hit that 2pm and vol spiked ninja just stopped, like if it got pummeled in the face with a hammer, the same way ninja 6 did, ninja 7 does and now 8.. (yeah yeah yeah.. i know the beta excuse and what not...) so as common practice I had to close everything (in the middle of trading with opened positions) and restart, and even after that and about 10 minutes after event ninja just was useless, was hurt for life.. I'm looking at my charts and still says loading.. I have volume in my charts, that's all, no indicators and only had crude and ES open.. so sad so sad so sad.....

Not great to hear others having the same issues.

If you have tested all the "normal" bottlenecks that get cited and there is no fault found there, the only advice I can offer as a solution is what I said in my original post. Use a separate platform to execute "live" orders so that you don't end up "trapped" with a live order if NT freezes.

I did have some success trial running multiple NT installs sandboxed but it was a monumental effort to keep them running as Sandboxie wasn't built for that (I talked to Sandboxie support looking for a solution in regards to NT) and sandboxie would regularly crash but would leave each NT instance running and it was a crap shoot if each NT install would then get corrupted in the sandboxie containers. I used IQfeed running on the desktop and connect any platform to it from the desktop, then each sandboxed NT will connect through the same data connection on the desktop.

There is definitely a issue with high volume periods and NT....

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

My name is Drew, the Level II Lead Hand here with NinjaTrader Platform Support. Again, I'm sincerely sorry to hear of any and all frustration with this matter. If you would like to continue investigating this matter, please do reach out to us to schedule a call using the below instructions.

Typically, custom add-on's and other items could cause this behavior, but I'd be happy to verify the cause.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_DrewO View Post
              At this point, I believe the best course of action would be for us to schedule a call tomorrow morning to address this matter directly. Please send me a note to platformsupport (at) ninjatrader (dot) com. Please note "ATTN: Drew" in the body of the response, and put a link to this forum post in the body of the email.

I just need a few things from you before our call. Please do not list this information if you reply to this Forum post, and only provide this information in our private email.

* A phone number where you can be reached
              * A time window where I can call you (please include a time zone). I can reach out to you Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Eastern time.
              * Shortly before our call please launch our remote support application from the following link, http://www.ninjatrader.com/rs. Once launched, the application will provide you with an ID# and password. I will need these from you once I have you on the phone. Keep the program running for me to connect.

I look forward to our support call.

Comment

Did you fix your issue? just by chance do you use FXCM?

Comment

Originally posted by EminiJalapenio View Post

FOMC was today at 2pm est.. and as soon as we hit that 2pm and vol spiked ninja just stopped, like if it got pummeled in the face with a hammer, the same way ninja 6 did, ninja 7 does and now 8.. .
                  During this event, I watched ES 12-16 super dom in nt7 and ToS mobile with ES 12-16. Both matched.

This event looked pretty tame compared to other Fomcs.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
                  6 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post RideMe
                  by RideMe

Started by tkaboris, Today, 05:13 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes