Setting commissions for backtesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting commissions for backtesting

I get different results when backtesting EURUSD and EURJPY. The net profit totals are grossly inflated on EURJPY backtests compared to EURUSD which are correct.

It seems I have to somehow change lot sizes to 100 per on the EURJPY and 1000 per on the EURUSD. Commissions then get messed up.

What is the proper way to backtest various currency pairs while keeping commissions consistent? I don't understand why they are producing different results.

Hello ShruggedAtlas,

Thank you for your post.

This would be due to the conversion rate being 1 historically in NinjaTrader as there would not be a historical conversion rate to pull. So the EURJPY is treated as a 1 to 1 relationship historically.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure what you mean Patrick. I have to use 100 share lots when backtesting EURJPY and 1000 share lots when backtesting EURUSD strategy.

Comment

Hello ShruggedAtlas,

Thanks for your reply.

I believe I am assisting your by email also, however I will include my reply here also.

"The Currency values will be whatever the base pair is. So if you're trying EURJPY, the values displayed will be the YEN values. Although the currency symbol denominated is USD ($), the actual values are indeed Yen in that case. There is no way to calculate the converted values during backtesting, however users could always export to excel and do a mass convert based on some custom excel logic."
        BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Skifree, Today, 03:41 AM
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post Skifree
        by Skifree

Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
        0 responses