Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Newbie here- what do I need to chart these indicators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here- what do I need to chart these indicators?

Hi traders,

I have started my trading journey and I am finding that I'm unable to figure out certain things, I hope that you can help me out . I apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong spot, I figured I can't get my charts to populate properly so it makes sense to me to stick it here (but I'm a newbie).

My plan
    I'm looking to trade as if 'I was in the moment' starting about 5-10 years ago (or whatever time frame is reasonable / economical). Meaning I want to replay every day through NinjaTrader's simulation until I can develop my technique. I plan on trading ES and CL.

Here are the following indicators I am looking to chart
    • Volume profile
    • Market profile
    • Range
    • Average True Range
    • Volume Weighted Average Price
    • Relative Volume
    • Volume

What I need help with
    1. Where can I get the right datafeed that will allow me to populate all of these indicators? I don't care about current data, but historical data. Dating as far back as economically possible
    2. What are some cheap places to get this data? Is there somewhere I can pay a one-time fee as opposed to recurring monthly subscription?
    3. I'm told that I need tick data as opposed to minute data, is that true?
    4. Is it possible to 'replay the past'? If so, how do I set that up properly?

Thanks in advance for your help, your advice will help get an aspiring trader off the ground!

-Mark

Hello Mark,

We support the following data feed providers in NinjaTrader.

Kinetick

DTN IQFeed

BarChart
    Barchart.com Inc. is the leading provider of real-time or delayed intraday stock and commodities charts and quotes. Keep tabs on your portfolio, search for stocks, commodities, or mutual funds with screeners, customizable chart indicators and technical analysis.

eSignal
    Everything you need, all in one place: charts that change the game, better backtesting & scanning, and reliable real-time data

They all support historical data in tick, minute and daily intervals. Unfortunately I am not sure how much historical data they exactly provide. Please verify this with the data feed provider.

Our preferred market data service is Kinetick. Real time service starts as low as $55 per month. If you trade CME Globex products, you can have these exchange fees waived if you have a qualified brokerage account. This service is only available for NinjaTrader.

Yes, historical tick data is required to load these indicators.

This is possible using the Market Replay connection. Please see the link below for information. This is not possible with the 4 data feeds providers above.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
      This is possible using the Market Replay connection. Please see the link below for information. This is not possible with the 4 data feeds providers above.
      http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ket_replay.htm
      Thanks so much for your help Jason.

One more question as I'm a bit confused.

If I can't use the historical data from these 4 providers for market replay, is there any benefit for me to purchase a subscription from kinetick?

I just signed up for a subscription with kinetick for the sole purpose of simulating historical data for practice and I'm confused as to why that data doesn't work with the replay function.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hello,

Market replay data and historical data differ fundamentally. While historical data is essentially just a collection of OHLC data, market replay data is a true tick-by-tick recording of market activity. Within NinjaTrader 7 one cannot play back historical data however this will be possible in NinjaTrader 8.

I hope that this helps to clear things up however if other questions come to mind please let us know.
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by AttiM, 02-14-2024, 05:20 PM
        12 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post DrakeiJosh  
        Started by cre8able, 02-11-2023, 05:43 PM
        3 responses
        0 likes