Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disconnecting & Reconnecting issue

NinjaTrader Support,

I have a Chart and SuperDom both open with the same Instrument. I pre-set many orders (perhaps 15 or so) at the beginning of the day for automatic trading.

I had an odd issue with my Connected broker/datafeed and I had to restart IB. Of course NT reminds that I have several orders open, am I sure I want to Disconnect. (fwiw ... that makes it ambiguous as to what will happen: will they be deleted or will they show up again once I Connect again. It would be nice to make that answer clearer in the question.) I continue and exit NT.

Once I restart IB and Connect to IB again, the Chart still does NOT show any orders. (I do not see any of those nice green Buy/Sell order lines.) I begin re-entering the orders. After re-entering a few orders I unhide the right side Chart Trader control view, to change the ATM strategy for more orders ... suddenly all of this mornings orders re-appear. (Now I have to delete the duplicates.)

I did NOT notice nor research whether the SuperDOM would have the orders show or not.

So ... the issue is that the Chart orders are not being refreshed after a Disconnect and re-Connect to datafeed. At least not when the Chart Trader control is hidden. It does not refresh until one toggles the hide/unhide Chart Trader control.

Hopefully someone can address this sometime, to better the great product you're developing.

Thanks,

Brian

Hello Brian,

This is as expected behavior. You will only see your orders in the chart when ChartTrader is enabled.

I will forward your suggestion to display your orders without ChartTrader being enabled to Development and ask them if they can add this to the list of future considerations for the software.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Jason.

But let me say that there seems to be some illogic, in that I always see my orders, whether or not I hide the Chart Trader control. If this should be the expected behavior, then wouldn't they appear when unhidden and disappear when hidden? (This would be awful, and is NOT my suggestion, only following the logic.)

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian1 View Post
        Thanks Jason.

But let me say that there seems to be some illogic, in that I always see my orders, whether or not I hide the Chart Trader control. If this should be the expected behavior, then wouldn't they appear when unhidden and disappear when hidden? (This would be awful, and is NOT my suggestion, only following the logic.)

Thanks again.
        Brian,

I just tested this on my end. I was unable to reproduce. If chart trader is disabled I am unable to see my orders displayed. If chart trader is enabled I can see any working orders.

Comment

Yes Eamon. But ... have some orders set. Have the Chart Trader hidden. Then Disconnect from your data source (accepting the warning that appears). Once you reconnect, they disappear. They reappear only after unhiding the Chart Trader, and stay visible thereafter.

Give that a try. If it doesn't happen for you, let me know and I'll attempt to better document the issue.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian1 View Post
            Yes Eamon. But ... have some orders set. Have the Chart Trader hidden. Then Disconnect from your data source (accepting the warning that appears). Once you reconnect, they disappear. They reappear only after unhiding the Chart Trader, and stay visible thereafter.

Give that a try. If it doesn't happen for you, let me know and I'll attempt to better document the issue.

Brian
            Brian,

I am still unable to reproduce on my end. Does this occur in live accounts or sim101?

Comment

I am using Sim101, with no subscription.

Comment

You could always try resetting the Sim101 account to see if this changes.

Tools--> Options--> Simulator--> Reset.
                JessicaNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Well Jessica, it's not a matter of how to get it to refresh so much as the confusion that the orders are gone.

Two times now I have begun adding about 13 ATM orders, before discovering that the original orders still exist (just in an invisible state). I simply thought you guys would like to resolve these types of matters (as obscure as they are).

My way of refreshing is to unhide Chart Trader control, then change to a new strategy ... and like magic, all green Buy and Sell ATM orders reappear.

FWIW, they never disappear from SuperDOM, nor Control Center tabs: Orders and Strategies. There also is no indication that they have been OrderCanceled in the Log. This is all good news.

So the only issue seems to be that they are not refreshed in the Chart upon Connection.

Steps to Reproduce
                  • Connect to IB data (the only one I've ever used)
                  • Set several ATM orders on a chart
                  • Hide the Control Trader control
                  • Disconnect the data source (IB)
                  • Answer Yes to the Warning ("Do you really want to disconnect?")
                  • Note that the Chart now cleared the ATM orders (as expected)
                  • Now Connect to IB data source
                  • Note that the Chart is STILL CLEARED of any ATM orders (I believe that this should be automatically refreshed, as the SuperDOM is, and is what will cause users confusion - because the orders are actually there, but invisible)
                  • Unhide the Chart Trader control (still invisible orders)
                  • Note the ATM Strategy dropdown holds "* Active ATM Strategy ..."
                  • Change the dropdown to any other Strategy (this is key, and I hadn't mentioned this step before, Eamon)
                  • Voila! The orders all pop back visibly

My System Information
                  • Win XP sp2
                  • Sim101 with no subscriptions
                  • Chart Trader Properties ATM selction mode is set to KeepSelectedAtmStrategyTemplateOnOrderSubmission
                  • Interactive Brokers datafeed / brokerage (IB)
                  I can easily imagine ending the day with several orders outstanding, answering the question "Yes" to disconnect anyway, seeing the order disappear (and assuming that they are no longer there). Then, coming back in the morning and creating the next day's orders, only to find that lots of orders are out there that one cannot see. (Remember, yesterday's Active Orders cannot be seen until one changes the ATM Strategy they are working with.) This could be scary stuff.

I hope this helps. Let me know.

Brian

Comment

Thanks Brian for the steps to reproduce. We will look into it.
                    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

We checked into this and it works as expected here so unfortunately we can not reproduce. We will keep this issue open in the event that we receive other reports with additional information that may help us isolate the cause.

Comment

Hmmmm ... that's odd. It happens with 100% consistency here. Can you think of any other setting that I might have set differently than you? I've removed all indicators, but no change.

I just upgraded to v6.5.1000.3 and it still occurs with regularity.

I wonder if others can get this to happen?

Brian
                        Last edited by Brian1; 05-29-2008, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately I can not think of anything.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                          47 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post aligator  
                          Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes