Graphical Display Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphical Display Options

I'm working on a graphic display concept and would appreciate any thoughts on implementation options. I have some chart prototypes in Excel, using data generated within an NT strategy and exported via a simple text file which is then copied into Excel to create the charts. When I say "chart," I don't mean price bar data, but rather any type of information which Excel routinely accepts to create graphs.

While the above process is fairly simple, I would like to show the end result within an ordinary NT workspace window. One way would be to export the existing file to Excel, have it create the graph, and then send it back to NT. Another would be create the graph within my NT code. And surely there are other options. Again, the graphics are generic, and do not synchronize with mainline NT data series price bars. In looking through the NT Help Guide, it looks like all drawing tools assume a traditional underlying NT price bar structure and data series display, which the user then annotates with drawing objects.

Any comments are much appreciated.

Hello MrSmartGuy,

Thank you for your post.

The simplest approach would be to provide the data to NinjaTrader as historical data for an instrument (could even be a custom instrument) and then let the chart build the graph you want. At least this is my take on your idea.

Comment

Thanks Patrick. I had initially toyed with back stuffing a fundamental chart data series, but moved on as I did not see how to change the time axis values, which for my application is not time. If I read you right, then I can stuff the x-axis values as well as the y-axis values for a chart template -- is that right? A quick example would be appreciated, if you've got one handy. I scanned the reference sample list and didn't see anything like this -- maybe I just missed it.

Comment

Hello MrSmartGuy,

Not sure I follow, can you provide a screenshot of an example graph?

Comment

Patrick -- It's so simple, I'll start with a few words. As one chart format example, visualize a simple equity curve, say for 100 trades. The graph is just a series of points, or lines connecting the points, where each point shows the account equity value, shown on the y-axis, for each trade, shown by the trade number on the x-axis.

While this example is very simple, it does show the need for setting both the x-axis and y-axis values for an "instrument" from my code. It would be nice if existing NT data series charting processes could work this way. Do you know how to do this?

Comment

Hello MrSmartGuy,

Thank you for your response.

That would not something that could be done easily in a chart window. In this case it would probably be simpler to create a new window that opens up and shows the graph in NinjaTrader 7. However, this is advanced programming and outside the scope of what we can provide support for.

If you are curious on windows in NinjaTrader you can take a look at a user submitted example at the following link: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...d=4&linkid=475

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Kaledus
            by Kaledus

Started by PaulMohn, Today, 12:36 PM
            1 response
            0 likes