Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to load Historical data from Kinetick

Hello,

I am using the Strategy Analyzer to test. I am able to test historical data while NOT connected to Kinetick on contract YM 03-15.

But if I run the same test while connected to Kinetick I get error "Error onloading chart data for "YM 03-15". Unable to load historical data: unknown instrument."

This was working a couple of days ago when NT was connected, and now suddenly it does not.

I tried to Reset Instruments but that didn`t work.

I`ve uploaded a screen scrape test failure when it is connected to Kinetic and another when NT is not connected to Kinetic and the test works.

Can you please me what to do to fix NT so that Strategy Analyzer will work again using historical data while connected to Kinetick.

Thank you
    Attached Files

I did some more digging and found that my NT historical data is more complete than what is currently available from Kinetick for contract YM 03-15. The NT Historical data exists on my pc already, which is why Strategy Analyzer was able to complete when I am NOT connect to Kinetick. Kinetick only provides 120 days of historic tick data.

However, NT documentation states it will not try to download data from the data provider UNLESS the data is required for a chart or test, and does not exist in NT.

So I don`t understand why NT tried to download the data from Kinetick, when the data already exists on my PC ?

This seems to be a problem with NT. As you can see from the screen scrapes I uploaded, NT will FAIL the Strategy Analyzer test instead of just using the historical PC data.

I am using NT 7.0.1000.30.

Can you please let me know how best to use the Strategy Analyzer for back testing historical non-active futures contracts ?

My current work-around is to disconnect from Kinetick to test non-active contracts.

Thank you

Comment

Hello rayko,

Thank you for writing in. From what I understand the issue may be that the historical data you have on your PC for the instrument is not all Kinetick data so NT is querying Kinetick for the data. In Tools -> Options -> Data tab, you will have a checkbox for get data from server (if available) as well as a dropdown selector for Merge policy.

Please confirm that the issue does not persist when you have "Get data from server (if available)" unchecked and then separately, recheck it and let me know which merge policy setting (if any) resolves the issue.

This will help me to narrow down exactly what is happening.

Thank you in advance.
      Michael M.NinjaTrader Quality Assurance

Comment

Hello Michael,

With "Get data from Server = OFF" and connected to Kinetick, the Test completes successfully, regardless of what merge policy I select.

With "Get data from Server = ON" and connected to Kinetick, the Test FAILS with the same error message found on the previous screen scrape I uploaded, regardless of what merge policy I select.

I don`t think the merge policy will matter, since this test is for YM 03-15 and the test dates are for when it was an active contract between 12/11/2014 through 3/6/2015.

So it looks like NT is trying to retrieve the tick data from Kinetick even though the tick data is already on my PC.

And yes it is true, the tick data for this contract did not come from Kinetick because Kinetick did not have it available when I needed it. I imported the data manually.

I`ve upload another screen scrape from Tools>Historical Data Manager.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello Michael,

Its been several hours.

Can you please let me know what I need to do get NT to recognize the existing tick data on the PC and not cause Strategy Analyzer to fail while its connected to Kinetick ?

Thank you

Comment

Hello rayko,

I apologize for the delay.

You will need to ensure that the 'Get data from server' setting is turned off in the Options menu's Data tab. This setup will ensure that NinjaTrader defaults to data which is locally cached.

With this setting only new data (data which NinjaTrader does not yet have cached locally) would be downloaded from Kinetick. This should provide you with access to the data which you need and prevent any error messages from triggering as data loads.

If other questions come up which I could assist with please let me know.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by frslvr, 04-11-2024, 07:26 AM
            9 responses
            1 like
            Last Post caryc123  
            Started by rocketman7, Today, 09:41 AM
            4 responses
            0 likes