Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawing a triangle that touches a bar, similar to the icon of entry

Hi Guys,

It sounds like a dumb question, but I really couldn't find how to draw (from an indicator) a triangle that touches a bar, similar to the icon of entry.

How do I do that, and how do I control its color and size?

Thanks

Hello,
    Thank you for writing in.
    You can plot triangle markers by using the DrawTriangleUp() and DrawTriangleDown() methods. The size of the triangles that are drawn are based off of your bar width. You can change their color by using their color overload. Please see the following links for more information on these two methods. DrawTriangleUp() and DrawTriangleDown().
    I have provided an example of using the DrawTriangleUp() and DrawTriangleDown() methods.
    DrawTriangleUp("my up triangle" + Time[0], true, 0, Close[0], Color.Blue);
    DrawTriangleDown("my down triangle" + Time[0], true, 0, Open[0], Color.Green);
    If you are wanting to have complete control of the triangle size you could use the DrawTriangle() method. This will allow you to designate each of the three anchor points for the triangle. Please see the following link on DrawTriangle()
    I have provided an example of how to use DrawTriangle().
    DrawTriangle("my triangle" + Time[0], 2, High[2], 1, High[1], 0, High[0], Color.Red);
    If we can be of any other assistance please let us know.
    Cody B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. However, I did not refer to the methods for which there exists documentation. Rather, I wanted to know how to draw the "TriangleRight" that appears when entering a trade (please see attached a picture with two such triangles) and how to control its color and size.

Best
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,
        The only way to draw triangles like the markets for executions is to use the DrawTriangle() method. There is not a DrawTriangleRight() method. I am submitting a feature request to our development team for consideration in adding such a method into future versions of NinjaTrader.

Comment

Hi Cody,

Based on the documentation, DrawTriangle() gets the x coordinates, i.e., barsAgo, as ints, whereas the entry marker's left edges seem to be between the current and previous bar.

Could you write the exact DrawTriangle() call that results in an entry marker, pointing at the close of the CurrentBar?

Thanks

Comment

Hello,
            You can use the integer BarsAgo as one of the overloads to get the x coordinates however there is another overload that allows you to use DateTime instead. You can use DateTime to plot between bars. I have provided an example of how you could do this below.
            Code:
            DrawTriangle("tag2"+ CurrentBar, true, Time[0].AddSeconds(0),Close[0], Time[0].AddSeconds(-10), Close[0] + .125* TickSize, Time[0].AddSeconds(-10), Close[0] - .125* TickSize, Color.Red,Color.Red, 10);
            Another option to draw these markers would to use a DrawText() method and use a wingdings 3 font using the letter "t" for the left pointing marker and "u" for the right pointing marker. Please see the following link on translating to wingdings characters.

I have provided an example below of how you could use this to work.
            Code:
            if(Close[0] > Open[0] && SMA(20)[0] > SMA(21)[0])
            			{
            				DrawText ("tag1"+CurrentBar, true, "t", Time[0].AddSeconds(1), Close[0], 5, Color.Red, new Font ("WingDings 3", 6), StringAlignment.Far, Color.Transparent, Color.Transparent, 0); 
            			}
            If these options do not perform as you like you could use the Plot Override Class to get the x and y coordinates and draw the triangle based off of those values. If you have not worked with the Plot Override Class I would recommend to take a look at the CustomPlotSample included with NinjaTrader.

Comment

Hi Cody,

Looks great. I will try the options you provided as soon as I can.
              Where can I find the link you mentioned re translating to wingdings characters?

Thanks

Comment

Hello,
                Here is the link for translating to Wingdings. http://speakingppt.com/wp-content/up...peakingppt.png

Comment

Worked perfectly, thanks!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by elirion, Today, 01:36 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post elirion
                  by elirion