Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing Up Takes Forever

Hello,

This happens once in a while and it is now happening again...

I attempt to back up NinjaTrader from the Utilities menu and it just says the following forever...

Backing up NinjaTrader...

Screenshot attached.

I need to use another program that uses a lot of computer resources now, so what can I do?
    Attached Files

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

It should be possible to cancel the backup by clicking the Abort button.

When you have another opportunity to backup NinjaTrader settings the time it takes to backup can be reduced by un-checking the following options in the backup menu:
    • Historical chart data
    • Market Replay files

Historical chart data and market replay files can be large in size and would therefor take quite a while to backup. Since Market Replay and Historical chart data can both be downloaded again in most cases these items may not be worth the time it takes to backup. Removing them from the backup is typically a great way to save some time due to this.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the info Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by i2w8am9ii2 View Post
        Hello,

This happens once in a while and it is now happening again...

I attempt to back up NinjaTrader from the Utilities menu and it just says the following forever...

Backing up NinjaTrader...

Screenshot attached.

I need to use another program that uses a lot of computer resources now, so what can I do?
        Where are you backing up to? SD Cards are impossible on large datasets.

USB 2.0 and/or 3.0 memory type sticks might also be impossible.

Backup to a real harddrive, and then copy to the external memory card.

Comment

Hi Sledge,

I always back up to my PC hard drive, which has terabytes of free space.

But I do also copy it from my PC hard drive to a 64 GB USB stick, and it usually tells me I don't have enough room for the NinjaTrader backup.

When NinjaTrader froze on me today, I was backing up to my PC hard drive.

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Hi Sledge,

I always back up to my PC hard drive, which has terabytes of free space.

But I do also copy it from my PC hard drive to a 64 GB USB stick, and it usually tells me I don't have enough room for the NinjaTrader backup.

When NinjaTrader froze on me today, I was backing up to my PC hard drive.

Thanks for the link.
            Dang!!! That's some serious backup-age....

I thought my 2 years of 15 GB Market Replay was plenty....

What size memory are you running? 16 GB? Which version of windows? 32 bit? 64 bit? xp/vista/7/8/8.1/10?

I took Koganam's cue - just move around/zip up files and don't use NT backup....
            IN NT8 - the files folder structure is so much simpler... (at least for market replay).. but sounds like you are still in NT7? and dealing with gobs of historical data?...

So if you right click on My Documents/NinjaTrader 7 folder - you have how many gigs??!

You could probably just copy that entire structure as backup.

Comment

Hi Sledge,

Yea, I do some multi-media at times, so I can almost never have enough hard drive space or RAM.

I have 16 GB of memory (and could use more) and a 64 bit OS running windows 10 (just got upgraded from win 8 last night).

Yea, I am still using NinjaTrader 7, I don't want the hassle of having indicators that I rely on possibly not work if I upgrade.

7.42 GB.

Yea, I guess I could just copy the entire structure as a backup; I'm not a programmer so I don't know if doing so would leave anything important behind.

Comment

Thank you, Sledge. You provided very useful feedback.

This may be indirectly related, but how much of that 7.42GB is your database file?

You can check this by going to Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > db > 'NinjaTrader.sdf'.

Also, can you confirm if you followed Kyle's recommendation by excluding Historical Chart Data, Market Replay Data, and Log and Trace Files when creating the backup file?

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the follow up.

The NinjaTrader.sdf file is 30.3 MB in size.

I did just run a backup with the Market Replay checkbox unchecked and it took only about 15 minutes for the backup. There was no delay or freezing with this backup.

I know that I did use a tool to download Market Replay files and I have downloaded quite a bit of them, I think that is the culprit.

Comment

I know that I did use a tool to download Market Replay files and I have downloaded quite a bit of them, I think that is the culprit.
                    That is the only data worth keeping for me.. I discard everything else.

Comment

Hi Sledge,

Thanks for the info.

You mean you don't back up your workspaces, templates or anything other than the Market Replay files?

Comment

Hi Sledge,

Thanks for the info.

You mean you don't back up your workspaces, templates or anything other than the Market Replay files?
                        That is correct. I have now 2 years (23 months) of close to 95% of uptime replay data.. that I have been pounding away in NT8 Market Replay.. I mean nightly 2 year replays that take about 6 hours (3 hours on my older ddr3 laptops) that would take 30 hours in NT7...

I can rebuild my NT7 workspace without much issue.. (I do have my indicators saved off).

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Christopher_R  
                        Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                        166 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post sidlercom80