Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPU Ninja 7; Ninja 8

Hi,

I use to trade on a surface 1 pro with several monitors plugged to it. I'm actually thinking of changing it. I have 2 options: Surface book and Surface 4 pro
    Both have the same processor, RAM and similar screen. First one has dedicated Nvidia GPU, the second doesn't.
    My question is refered to the use of GPU by Ninja. I read on a post that GPU doesn't have that much importance on NT7. It seems that NT8 will be multi thread and will be much more fluid on a multi core processor. But in terms of charting and drawings... will you recommend a good GPU to have more fluently when 800 candlesticks are on screen? Will it have any kind of importance on NT8? Is it only a matter of CPU&RAM or GPU also affect to it?
    Sometimes, moving the chart is exasperating due to the amount of drawings or candles you may have on screen.
    If GPU is or will be important I may choose the surface book. If GPU is only useful for 3dgaming I won't spend that extra money on a feature I won't use.

THX!

GPUs are used and needed for complex 3D (three dimensional) graphics, they free up processing power in the CPU by taking the 3D calculation load off the CPU. Ninjatrader bars on your screen (and indicators, etc) are all 2D (two dimensional) objects and do not require a GPU. In fact, download a good GPU usage program and load Ninja with multiple charts open in a workspace and you'll see there is 0% demand on the GPU, it's all in the CPU. You only need a good 2D graphics processor for Ninjatrader. Doesn't matter if it is 7 or 8.
    If you are going to play games or watch HDTV on the same device and need the processing power of the GPU then by all means get the best GPU you can find and afford but if it's only for Ninjatrader then get the best CPU and ram.
    Last edited by florida99; 12-02-2015, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by florida99 View Post
      GPUs are used and needed for complex 3D (three dimensional) graphics, they free up processing power in the CPU by taking the 3D calculation load off the CPU. Ninjatrader bars on your screen (and indicators, etc) are all 2D (two dimensional) objects and do not require a GPU. In fact, download a good GPU usage program and load Ninja with multiple charts open in a workspace and you'll see there is 0% demand on the GPU, it's all in the CPU. You only need a good 2D graphics processor for Ninjatrader. Doesn't matter if it is 7 or 8.
      If you are going to play games or watch HDTV on the same device and need the processing power of the GPU then by all means get the best GPU you can find and afford but if it's only for Ninjatrader then get the best CPU and ram.
      Not quite correct.

NT8 uses DirectX rendering: that makes the GPU pretty important.

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
        Not quite correct.

NT8 uses DirectX rendering: that makes the GPU pretty important.
        Not quite correct. DirectX in 2D, not 3d, so there is still very little demand on an expensive GPU.

The only mention of NT8 graphics requirements in what the Ninjatraders have written is DirectX10 compatible graphics card, which does not imply an expensive GPU. http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=76235
        Last edited by florida99; 12-02-2015, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Hi Trilobito,

As long as whichever graphics card you end up choosing supports DirectX 10 (very likely), NinjaTrader 8 will be able to render all of its graphical elements using that piece of hardware, rather than using the much more inefficient software rendering functionality.

Dedicated graphics cards tend to be worth it in general for anything beyond general desktop/internet/email type of usage, so I would personally recommend that route.
          <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

When I enable global cross hairs in nt8b7 on nvidia 780ti and use my mouse wheel to scroll 2 charts [Vix and es], I see over 50% gpu.

Comment

Ok, Thanks everybody for your attention.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
                When I enable global cross hairs in nt8b7 on nvidia 780ti and use my mouse wheel to scroll 2 charts [Vix and es], I see over 50% gpu.
                Sledge, would you kindly post a screenshot of the GPU usage. I'm (as well as I'm certain, others) interested in seeing that. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by florida99 View Post
                  Sledge, would you kindly post a screenshot of the GPU usage. I'm (as well as I'm certain, others) interested in seeing that. Thanks
                  I only had 2 weeks of data loaded in this chart.

The first bump on my gpu chart was before the recording software ran, as I did not know if jing would also add to the mix.

Comment

Hello,

Just to confirm that I think NT8 really need a better GPU than NT7. I run NT on 4 screens with one of the best PC out there (I7-6700k, 16 go of ram DDR4, SSD pro, etc...) but I've put the graphics cards of my last PC which are 2 AMD HD5450 in it. I'm running directx 11.2 and my GPU max out at 94% when I move the global cursor of 8 charts at the same time.

I was finding NT8 really slow so I think thats the main reason.

Does someone got a big setup with many screens (and probably a better GPU) and change NT8 workspaces without having a lag of almost 3 seconds to display all of the charts? I got some workspaces with 28 charts and its faster with NT7 to change the workspaces even if NT8 is now multi thread.

Comment

Originally posted by baoumbox View Post
                      Hello,

Just to confirm that I think NT8 really need a better GPU than NT7. I run NT on 4 screens with one of the best PC out there (I7-6700k, 16 go of ram DDR4, SSD pro, etc...) but I've put the graphics cards of my last PC which are 2 AMD HD5450 in it. I'm running directx 11.2 and my GPU max out at 94% when I move the global cursor of 8 charts at the same time.

Does someone got a big setup with many screens (and probably a better GPU) and change NT8 workspaces without having a lag of almost 3 seconds to display all of the charts? I got some workspaces with 28 charts and its faster with NT7 to change the workspaces even if NT8 is now multi thread.
                      I'll try to run a test tomorrow in Playback-MR with 8 charts....?.. I didn't see anything with my i7-5820k and 48 gb and intel 750 raid 0 software ssd wint7....

this was in idle after playback on 3 charts with my nvidia -780Ti......

I'll try 8 charts tomorrow, but it will be of the same instrument.. (ES)..

Comment

Originally posted by baoumbox View Post
                        Hello,

You don't mention how many indicators or what kind you have. So I added ES 15 second, ES 4 range with EMA and Volume, ES 3 minute with EMA and Volume, ES 5 minute with EMA, VIX with EMA/SMA, ES 30 second with my custom indicator with 2 plot lines, ES 1000 volume with EMA and VOLUME UP/DOWN, and ES 500 tick.

I'm currently watching TV and sitting around 13%-15% gpu usage. I replayed 2 weeks of data, and went to 2x from MAX replay. GPU jumped to max of 22-24% with all 8 charts enabled with global cross hairs. When I stopped playing around, I'm back 13-15% gpu.

I'm guessing you use the Radeons for the external monitors? It looks like the integrated GPU intel hd 530 is a lot better than the older Radeon.

Based on 254,299 user benchmarks for the AMD Radeon HD 5450 and the Intel HD 530 (Desktop Skylake), we rank them both on effective speed and value for money against the best 714 GPUs.

I did another test.. idle was 7%, and I had data from 1/20/2014 to 3/12/2014 loaded in.
                        I did more up/down while scrolling the mouse as fast as I could spin it. It jumped to 32%.

So yeah - it sounds like for NT8, you'll need to upgrade those video cards when using cross hairs.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
                          You don't mention how many indicators or what kind you have. So I added ES 15 second, ES 4 range with EMA and Volume, ES 3 minute with EMA and Volume, ES 5 minute with EMA, VIX with EMA/SMA, ES 30 second with my custom indicator with 2 plot lines, ES 1000 volume with EMA and VOLUME UP/DOWN, and ES 500 tick.

I'm currently watching TV and sitting around 13%-15% gpu usage. I replayed 2 weeks of data, and went to 2x from MAX replay. GPU jumped to max of 22-24% with all 8 charts enabled with global cross hairs. When I stopped playing around, I'm back 13-15% gpu.

I'm guessing you use the Radeons for the external monitors? It looks like the integrated GPU intel hd 530 is a lot better than the older Radeon.

Based on 254,299 user benchmarks for the AMD Radeon HD 5450 and the Intel HD 530 (Desktop Skylake), we rank them both on effective speed and value for money against the best 714 GPUs.

I did another test.. idle was 7%, and I had data from 1/20/2014 to 3/12/2014 loaded in.
                          I did more up/down while scrolling the mouse as fast as I could spin it. It jumped to 32%.

So yeah - it sounds like for NT8, you'll need to upgrade those video cards when using cross hairs.
                          Thank you Sledge! Your test is really appreciated.

Yes the Radeon are for my external monitor. I've found somthing else it seems like NT8 don't take as much GPU on my 2 HD5450, one has 512 MB and the other is 1 Go of RAM. The one with 1 Go just achieve the 45% of GPU usage and the 512 Mb almost max out the card. They got 2 screens each and maybe the type of connection make a difference since they're in VGA (what a mistake I've made of buying cheap ones 2 years ago).

It seems to point out that NT8 need a minimum of 1 go for the GPU. Its sure its not that much, I just didn't see the point of taking a bigger card for trading at first. I think I'll go minimum with a GTX 960 next and buy 4k curved tv it'll replace having many screens and many output. I dont know if those cards alone can display 2x4k TV? People don't seems to have migrated yet that much to the 4k screens but I think its the best thing if you trade and you have windows 10 (because you can split 1/4 windows in the corner).

By the way my charts got like maybe 7-8 indicators each. SMA, RSI, Stochastics, Pricealert line, priceline.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by MarianApalaghiei, Today, 10:49 PM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                          Started by love2code2trade, Yesterday, 01:45 PM
                          4 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post love2code2trade