Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unhandled exception trapped

What is this and how to fix it?

When I switch to a different instrument NT tries to load that instrument but then ends up with blank charts. Then, if I close NT and restart it, the instrument loads properly. The log file does not show anything particular. The trace file however says:

2015-12-11 13:51:15:477 *************** unhandled exception trapped ***************
    2015-12-11 13:51:15:478 Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index

sandman
    Attached Files

Hello sandman,

Thanks for your post.

As a test, please take the following steps to force NinjaTrader to start without your saved workspace. You will have the option to reopen these after our tests.

Shut down NinjaTrader

Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\workspaces

Delete the file named "_Workspaces.XML". DO NOT delete the 'workspaces' folder - only delete the '_Workspaces.XML' file within the 'workspaces' folder

After deleting this file, restart NinjaTrader which should startup without any workspaces.

Once NinjaTrader has started on just the control center, please open a new chart with no custom bar types/indicators/templates and test for issue.

*Please note this will not delete your workspace however the new blank workspace will be named Untitled1. If you have a workspace already named Untitled1 however you will not want to save the workspace when exiting NinjaTrader, otherwise it will overwrite it.

If there are no issues on this new workspace, please try opening the previous workspace by going to File--> Workspaces--> Open workspace.

If this reintroduces issues, I would suggest rebuilding your workspace, adding 1 indicator at a time, and testing. Please keep track of what indicators you add back in so that we can narrow down what indicator is causing the issue if the issue returns. I also suggest making a backup of your workspace so we can restore a backup if the issue returns.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over backing up and restoring.

BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Brandon. I will do that over the weekend.

Meantime another question. I noted in the log file that it tries to install an old strategy (Jarvis53V10). However I thought that I had deleted that strategy. See attached. Which other places could remnants of Jarvis53V10 be hidden which need to be deleted?

sandman
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello sandman,

Thanks for your reply.

This can be ignored/should not cause any problems. To resolve it would result in loss of multiple NinjaTrader items.

Comment

Got it. Would it help to download a fresh NT?

sandman

Comment

Hello sandman,

Thanks for your reply.

Only if you started fresh and removed all NinjaTrader files. This is not needed however. If you want to remove this message you would just need to rename your database file.

You can rename your database by following the steps below.

Shutdown NinjaTrader and Go to the Start Menu
            Select My Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> DB--> NinjaTrader.SDF.
            Right click on NinjaTrader.SDF and select "Rename." *Name it "OLDNinjaTrader.SDF."
            Then restart the software and NinjaTrader will create a fresh database file to use
            Unfortunately the following items stored in the old database will be lost - ATM Strategy templates, Session templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments, historical trade execution data, saved Strategy Analyzer backtest results

Comment

Brandon.

I conducted various tests since my last communication on the subject of "unhandled exception trappped" (first post in this series). I have ten different instruments with various charts open. The blank charts occur only whenever I want to switch a set of charts to either CL or NG. The error does not occur when I switch to any other instrument (6A,B,C,E,S or TF and ES). In fact when I end up with blank charts let's say for CL, and then load one of the other instruments like ES it loads just fine.

Any ideas on this?

sandman

Comment

Hello sandman,
                Thanks for your reply.
                Do you have any custom scripts applied to the chart?

Comment

Yes, I do. But there's no problem with that same chart and the same indicators with 8 of the instruments. Only when I switch that chart to CL or NG do I end up with a blank. See attached. It is the SAME chart which I used here to switch to different instruments.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by sandman; 01-22-2016, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Hello sandman,
                    Thanks for your reply.
                    It seems to be the cause of the custom indicators. If you remove the custom scripts are you able to properly load the chart?
                    Are this scripts you created or are they from a 3rd party?

Comment

No. I had tried that already but for the sake of it I did it again. Opened a chart with NO custom indicators. Opened TF = all fine. Switched to CL = blank. Switched to 6B = all fine. See attached.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,
                        Thanks for your reply.

Please ensure you are on the latest version of NinjaTrader.

The current version of NinjaTrader is 7.0.1000.30
                        To check what version of NinjaTrader you are running go to Help> About
                        To upgrade NinjaTrader, please follow the link below

* http://www.ninjatrader.com/GetStarted
                        * Enter your email address
                        * Select Download FREE Platform (this version will be the live version as well as your current installation should already have your live license).
                        * Download the Current version

Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed

Next open NinjaTrader and go to Tools> Options> Data> Reset Instruments
                        Exit NinjaTrader and open the following directory in Windows
                        Documents\NinjaTrader 7\db\cache
                        Delete the contents within this folder

Start NinjaTrader and test with charts that have no custom indicators or templates once again. If this works, test with you custom scripts.

Comment

Thank you Brandon. I did as you instructed and it seems it's working fine now. Fingers crossed. I shall see on Monday with a live connection.

One question: What does "Re-set Instruments" do?

sandman

Comment

Hello sandman,
                            Thanks for your reply.
                            This ensures that your symbol mapping is correct/up to date with the latest version.

Comment

Got it. Question regarding 6E. There was a change in the size of the increments not too long ago. As I now downloaded NT and reset all instruments I thought I'd better check the Instrument Manager for 6E. I found attached. Tick size: 0.0001. With the change that had been announced it should be 0.00005 instead. Shouldn't NT update this in their "Master NT" so that when NT is downloaded this change is already taken care of?

sandman
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by MarianApalaghiei, Today, 10:49 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                              Started by love2code2trade, Yesterday, 01:45 PM
                              4 responses