Issue: Real-Time Vs Backtesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue: Real-Time Vs Backtesting

I'm pretty aware about your explanation-warning in the help guide about the typical discrepancies when the same strategy works different depending if it's under backtest or real-time. I've been working in a strategy that is having this problem. The Strategy is pretty simple with basic calculations BUT it must work with two DataSeries simultaneously: Bid and Ask ( in this case the $EURUSD ) . Let me give you a simple description of its logic:

Code:
    if (BarsInProgress == 0)
    			{	
    				// Simple math calculations	and get a signal 
    			}
    if (BarsInProgress == 1)
    			{	
    				// Simple math calculations	and get a signal
    			}
    // Evaluate signals from DataSeries 0 and DataSeries 1. 
    // If the same Signal then set an order needed otherwise wait for new OnBarUpdate
    When I backtest this Strategy, the calculations, signals, evaluations and executions match the expected behavior.
    When I run it in Real-Time, that's another story. I've set all kind of evaluations to research it. such as: Output windows with key variable prints to see where are the differences.
    After thorough research for possible causes of these discrepancies, I can tell:

DISCARD CAUSES:
    - Executions filling prices or fillings quantities
    - Both processes ( Backtest or Real-Time ) are under Tick-by-Tick

POSSIBLE CAUSE
    - Bad filtering of data. It seems that there must be some trouble receiving, filtering and processing events that come pretty fast ( few milliseconds of difference )
    The most clear example that I can give is this:
    for the same event, registered at the same time, in the backtest there's just 1 but in Real-Time there're more, sometimes the double or more, without any logic.

This issue has stopped all my work, and I'd like some help, new ideas, suggestions...etc

Thanks in advance

Hello pstrusi,

May we test the strategy or a version that reproduces the matter?
    Can you also detail some specifics on what is occurring?

Comment

Hi Patrick, thanks for your attention.

This is simple:
      - As you can see in the code, I filter the event for DataSeries: bid or ask;
      - it's done the simple calculations to that event to get a signal value for that DataSeries;
      - the Strategy evaluates the very last current signal values for bid and ask
      - If signals are equal , an order is submitted, otherwise return

In order to monitoring how events are occurring and their calculations, I print in the Output windows the main variables with the exact time, so I can see if all events are in sync with that chart. Here is when I realize that for example, without any occurence, I have printouts that don't appears in the chart, basically price variation that don't exist.

I'm trying to do some trials looking for filtering events that don't belong to index 0 or 1 throught this:

Code:
      if ( BarsInProgress != 0 && BarsInProgress != 1 )
      			{
      				return;
      			}
      So far, printouts are matching. If this solves the issue, this means logically that OnBarUpdate is triggering with events out of index 0 or 1.

What do you think?
      Last edited by pstrusi; 12-15-2015, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I've found a solution for the issue, filtering OnBarUpdates events that don't belong to DataSeries 0 and 1 ( Last and Ask in my example ) of the Strategy, as I wrote in the earlier post.
        in spite of that in Forex, Last=Bid, OnBarUpdates triggers with any Last, Bid, or Ask coming tick. I supposed wrongly that since Last=Bid it should be just one OnBarUpdate event and it's not during a Real-Time.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by elirion, Today, 01:36 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post elirion
        by elirion

Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes