Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monthly Chart Not Jibing with Daily Chart

Hello,

For quite some time now I've noticed that when I draw a trend channel on a monthly chart, it does not reflect correctly on the daily chart.

The screenshots attached are of long term charts in the stock market. But before this I noticed the same thing happening in the lower timeframes in the futures markets.

In the first screenshot attached (of the monthly stock chart), you can see that the trend channel top (supply line) is at approximately 94.00, and it looks clean.

Then when I go to the daily chart (see second screenshot), this same trend channel looks like a mess.

And while in the daily chart, if I zoom way out, this same trend channel top is at approximately 88.00 (see third screenshot of daily chart). That is quite a big discrepancy (from 94.00).

How can I make good structural trading decisions with such far off numbers and with charts that look good at times and look like a mess at other times?

Thanks for your help,
    Attached Files

Hello i2w8am9ii2,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Try increasing the Days To Load on the lower time frames so that they can include all data that the lines are drawn on so it can properly place their anchor lines.
    BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the info.

When you say "on the lower timeframes", as for the stock charts, the daily chart is set at 365 days; and that is my lowest timeframe for stock trading.

Do you mean increasing the days beyond 365 in the daily chart?

Comment

Hello i2w8am9ii2,
        Thanks for your reply.
        That is correct, Increase the Days To Load on your daily chart to 1000.

Comment

Great to know that might be a solution; I'll test it out.

Thanks so much for the help.

Comment

I too have this same problem but on minute charts, so If I apply a trend channel on a 15 Min and then change chart to a 5 Min the channel is not anchored as it was on 15 MIN and I have to adjust again I have tried the locked feature but same conclusion
            I had 5 days loaded then changed to 10 days same problem?

Cheers
            Last edited by geotabs; 01-22-2016, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Hello geotabs,
              Thanks for your reply.
              Please provide screenshots demonstrating this so I can look into it further.

Comment

Yea, my problem has improved a little, but still persists.

What would be a real help is if you folks could provide a listing of how many 'Days to Load' we should put for the main timeframes, to make them display correctly when used together.

Such as the inputs for the 5 minute chart, as well as for the 15, 30, and 60 minute charts. And also for the Daily, Weekly and Monthly charts.

Comment

Hello inv97ia4xrs6,
                  Thanks for your reply.
                  How many days to load will vary depending on how far back the object was drawn. If it started over a year ago, you would want to load a year of data. If it was 5 days ago you would just need to load a chart with 5 days of data.

Comment

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the reply.

You said:

"How many days to load will vary depending on how far back the object was drawn. If it started over a year ago, you would want to load a year of data. If it was 5 days ago you would just need to load a chart with 5 days of data."

I'm still confused. How do I decide how many days of data to load for each different timeframe, in order to make the timeframes work well together when I go from one to the other?

So for a 5 minute chart, in the 'Days to load' section, how would I determine how many days I need to input there to make it jibe with a 15 minute, 30 minute, 60 minute and Daily chart?

And for stocks, if I start with a Daily chart, in the 'Days to load' section, how would I determine how many days I need to input there to make it jibe with a Weekly and Monthly chart?

Comment

Hell oinv97ia4xrs6,
                      Thanks for your reply.
                      How many days to load will depend how far back your drawing object is drawn. You must load enough days to include the entire drawing object.
                      If you have a daily chart that has a drawing object from 10 days ago and you switch to a 1 minute chart, you will need at least 10 days. If you then switch to a 60 minute chart, you will need at least 10 days.

Comment

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the reply.

What is a 'Drawing Object'.

I hope I will not need to be a programmer and will not need to do complex time consuming calculations just to make my shorter timeframe charts jibe with my longer timeframe charts and visa versa :-)

Is there an easy way to ensure I don't get inaccurate information on the charts that I analyze?

Comment

Hello inv97ia4xrs6,
                          Thanks for your reply.
                          I am referring to any object you drew on a chart such as a line, Fibonacci, rectangle, etc.

You will want to ensure you can see all points of your drawing object. So if you drew a line that starts of 1/19/2016 and ends on 1/21/2016 you would need to be able see that entire time frame on your chart.

Comment

Hi Brandon,

Yes, I always have my trend channels and other such objects completely visible on the chart when I draw them.

But I'm still not seeing a solution to having my trend channels jibe on the larger timeframes when I draw them on the smaller timeframes and visa versa.

Comment

Hello inv97ia4xrs6,
                              Thanks for your reply.
                              Are you trying to view these on different charts or are you switching time frames on the chart you drew them on?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                              9 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
                              Started by NRITV, Today, 01:15 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes