Using Ninjatrader to trade large number of equities intra-day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Ninjatrader to trade large number of equities intra-day

I'm newbie to Ninjatrader (still on simulated version, not yet explored the live trading version) and had been a user of Amibroker before. I was searching online to find ways to trade intra-day on IB. I wanted to split up my capital into 20 stocks and trade each of the 20 stocks intra-day, say 1m bars.

I found a video on the net http://www.highprobabilitytrade.com/...de-system.html that shows a nice way to make Ninjatrader generate a trade, and send it to Zeroline trader, which in turn sends it to IB.

The example in the video given shows 1 instrument only, while the Help Guide tells you to use Add addition data series to trade multiple instruments.

If I want to trade 20 instruments,

(i) is it better to have one strategy that contains the OnBarUpdate for each of the 20 instruments, or is it better to create one strategy per instrument?

(ii) to run a strategy in live environment (i don't have a live version yet), do I drop/attach the strategy to a 1min chart (like dropping an AFL script in Amibroker) or is the strategy run standalone?

Thanks

Hello uday12,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum!

1. You can have one strategy run the logic for multiple instruments if you prefer. However, it is easier to develop the strategy based on it's use for one instrument. Then apply the strategy to the 20 different instruments. This means you do not have to run redundant code in one script.

2. You can run the strategies from the Strategies tab of the Control Center directly or you can right click in a chart and apply the strategy through the Strategies menu. For information on running Strategies please visit the following link: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...strategies.htm

Comment

keeping multiple charts open

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. One more question - to keep a strategy enabled, do I have to keep its chart window active?

I tried some of the sample MA crossover strategies (running the simulated version) and everytime I change the chart to a different ticker, the strategy tab reflects the new ticker. So, assume that I am trading 20 stocks, then do I have to have ideally 20 charts open?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by uday12 View Post
        Thanks for your reply. One more question - to keep a strategy enabled, do I have to keep its chart window active?
        I tried some of the sample MA crossover strategies (running the simulated version) and everytime I change the chart to a different ticker, the strategy tab reflects the new ticker. So, assume that I am trading 20 stocks, then do I have to have ideally 20 charts open
        It is expected that a strategy enabled on a chart would perform in such a matter. You can instead simply go to the Strategies tab of the Control Center > right click > New Strategy. This strategy will not change with the chart and will not disable if the chart is closed - as long as it was created via the New Strategy option on the Strategies tab of the Control Center.

For more information please be sure to review the details at the following link: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...strategies.htm

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by kujista, Today, 06:23 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post kujista
        by kujista

Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 04:32 PM
        1 response