Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to estimate futures price from index value

Forum,

I’m looking to algorithmically execute future trades (e.g. ES) from analysis of spot index (e.g. ^SP500) using limit orders. This requires a reasonable approximation of where the future price should be relative to the spot index value.

The question is, how would you do it?

Currently, I’m am looking to algorithmically:
    • Calculate the basis (spread between future price and spot index value) for each bar/period (e.g. 30mins) during cash hours.
    • Construct a line of best fit for “recent” history of basis to approximate current basis level. While I am yet to define “recent”, it should be long enough to capture any contango / backwardation effect (attached).
    • Form a distribution of spread values minus the best fit estimates to understand the variability of actual futures prices around best fit estimates.
    • Use the index value adjusted by the derived basis estimate as the order limit price.

While high level, I believe this approach would provide a price with which to execute a limit order and the probability of being filled.

For clarity, I am not looking to arbitrage between index value and future price. I am simply looking to analyse the index and then execute a futures limit order based on the "price" action in the index. Two options I've considered and decided against are:
    • Analyse the price action of the future (as opposed to the index) and execute orders appropriately.
    • Analyse the price action of the index and execute market orders (as opposed to limit orders).

In this fashion, if it is an ill-conceived idea to estimate a price for use in a limit order, I am all ears.

Would you do it the same? Differently? What holes can you see?

Thanks
    Shannon
    Attached Files

Hello Shansen,

I am not able to assist with creating logic or algorithms.

However, if you do find you would like any technical assistance implementing your idea or set of rules I will be monitoring this thread to offer any assistance.

This thread will remain open to any community members who would like to assist.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by gravdigaz6, Today, 11:40 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post gravdigaz6  
    Started by MarianApalaghiei, Today, 10:49 PM
    3 responses
    0 likes