Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entry and Exit By Bollinger bands

HI
    I hope you experts out there can spare a moment to help me.
    Using the Wizard, I am trying to create a strategy where I enter long in an uptrend when the current price falls back to touch the price of the lower Bollinger band value of the last bar that has printed. Exit when the price touches the price of the upper band value of the last bar that has printed. This is not on bar close.
    I use my judgement as to the trend. It's just the Bollinger band bit I am having trouble with.
    I have tried but can not get the strategy to trigger in live Simulation. I am very much a novice. This is as far as I have got.
    Condition 1
    cross below(GetCurrentBid(),Bollinger(1.8, 14).Lower, 1)
    EnterLongLimit(DefaultQuantity, 0,"")
    Condition 2
    CrossAbove(GetCurrentAsk(), Bollinger(1.8, 14). Upper, 1)
    ExitLongLimit(0,"","")
    I am not clear whether to be 1 bar ago, look back 1 bar, whether to use ask or bid, whether to use <=, >= or cross above , below. Would prefer<= and >= if it can work.
    Help please.
    Thanks

Hello stevep3,

Thanks for your post.

Please try using the Low instead of GetCurrentBid() and High instead of GetCurrentAsk().

Also, as a diagnostic aid, you may want to have the strategy draw dots (or other symbols) when the conditions you create are true (in addition to the order placement) so that visually you can see when and where the strategy sees the conditions as being true.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Entry and Exit by Bollinger bands

Hello NinjaTrader_Paul
      Thank you for your reply.
      I have followed all of your advice and made the changes that you suggested. I enabled the strategy on a number of charts and the entry still does not trigger. Plainly the event has occurred on the chart a number of times, so I still have an error somewhere.
      Also, if I backtest, should I not get some results, the backtest operating on a bar close basis, as opposed to my strategy which is not on bar close? A backtest shows no results. Which also suggests to me that the strategy is still in error.

Comment

Hello stevep3,

Thanks for your reply.

Please post your strategy so I may test it on my end and advise the strategy settings you are using (a screenshot of the parameters in use). Advise what instrument, tiime frame and bar type.

If you do not wish to post in public, please send to PlatformSupport[at]Ninjatrader[dot]Com. In the subject line of the email please add Thread: Entry and Exit By Bollinger bands Atten Paul.
        Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by JonesJoker, 04-22-2024, 12:23 PM
        8 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post JonesJoker  
        Started by timko, Today, 06:45 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes