Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How many charts should I be able to run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many charts should I be able to run?

I've read the performance tips from the help file. It says, "(running 200 charts will consume more processing power than running only 20 charts)" which implies I should be able to run 20 charts or more. I'd like to be able to run one chart each for about 18 forex pairs. I could run a few less I guess. But, often, after about 8 to 10 charts or so, Ninja starts to get wonky. Like, it'll do blank charts, or just hang forever on a screen saying "saving data". Once NT starts to go wonky, it just don't run right anymore. I'll exit the program and get application termination errors. I understand that one can exceed the resource limits available, but I think NT should handle the problem more gracefully, letting you know that it is out of resources or something.

I'm running the latest build of NT. I've got a modern computer, 4-core, 4 gigs of RAM running XP SP3. Now, I only have 2.5 g RAM available because I've got 1 g of video RAM. I'll put a smaller video card in the computer so as to get more available RAM.

Now, I do have turned on market replay and store real time bar data. But that is because I have an indicator that for some reason requires it. Something about some specific kind of historical data not normally being available with NT. But, I've set the number of days back to only 3 days for minute charts.

So, am I asking too much to get 18 charts, one per pair for about 18 pairs?

How about running 18 charts without any of the "custom" 3rd party indicators.

Same issue?
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post

Same issue?
      Haven't tried it yet. I'll get back to you.

Comment

I happen to be away from home, so I just tried it on my laptop. Seems to work fine, with or without the indicators. And my laptop is considerably poorer performance than my desktop. My laptop is running Vista with 2 gigs of RAM, so, it should be much poorer. I'll try again on my desktop.

Comment

Same issue?
          Well, the problem is now on both of my machines. But, I think it is probably a custom indicator issue. I haven't seen the problem with no custom indicators as yet. Still, it might at least be partially an NT issue, as NT sometimes dies and tells me to send an e-mail to support. I have done so. If the issue is just from the indicators, perhaps you can help me find out which one. Thanks.

Comment

You will have to remove all indicator, add one at a time, let it run to see what custom indicator has the problem.
            RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

You will have to remove all indicator, add one at a time, let it run to see what custom indicator has the problem.
              After several hours of testing, I was able to duplicate the problem with no indicators except the NinjaTrader supplied pivot configured for daily pivots. I suspected everything else first, I figured that was about the least likely to be the problem, so it was about the last thing I tested.

I've sent an email to support.

Comment

What exact problem do you encounter as you throw the Pivots indicator on one chart (more charts? how many?).

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                  What exact problem do you encounter as you throw the Pivots indicator on one chart (more charts? how many?).
                  I set up one chart per FOREX pair on MB Trading, which is 23 pairs. Though, I'm thinking of dropping off the pairs with generally higher spreads. But, at the moment, I set up desktops with one chart of each or 23 charts. I created a template with no other indicators except the daily pivot. I applied the template to the charts and saved the workspace. That workspace also has a Market Analyzer with the 23 pairs in it. Then I connect to eSignal. NinjaTrader starts to flash things like "Saving Data $USD/CAD" or something to that effect. I'll see like a half dozen or flashes, and then that window just hangs and doesn't go away and nothing works right after that.

At that point, when I close NT, I'll get a popup saying that it has encountered some problems and is writing stuff to the trace file. But I look in the trace file and nothing looks pariticularly ominous in it.

Comment

How many charts totally depends on the indicators. I can have 5 charts open no problem, or 1 which will slow my computer to a crawl.

With more charts, its more likely to be a RAM issue than a CPU issue. If thats the case it might be better to watch all of the pairs in the market analyzer and then only open charts when needed.

You may need to customize some indicators though, as you may find the lack of 'cross above' / 'cross below' etc in the market analyzer conditions a very frustrating limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliott Wave View Post
                      How many charts totally depends on the indicators. I can have 5 charts open no problem, or 1 which will slow my computer to a crawl.
                      As I said, I have it down to ONE INDICATOR, the daily pivot as provided with NT. That's it. No pivot indicator, no problem. Now, I need to go back and see if I go back to my preferred set of indicators minus the pivot and see if that works okay. If so, I'll live without the pivot.

But, I do need to pair down the number of charts to not include the pairs with higher spreads. But, I'd like to have at least 10-14 or so if I can do it with at least most of my indicators.

Comment

Here's a different version that might work until you get the problem solved.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Elliott Wave View Post
                          Here's a different version that might work until you get the problem solved.
                          Thanks, I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedie6 View Post
                            I set up one chart per FOREX pair on MB Trading, which is 23 pairs. ..
                            - please make sure you are on latest 6.5.1000.4
                            - is the problem reproducible 100%?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                              - please make sure you are on latest 6.5.1000.4
                              - is the problem reproducible 100%?
                              Yes and yes.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM