NT EXTREMELY slow to open lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT EXTREMELY slow to open lately

it can take over 10 minutes for NT to start these days and when I connect to Zenfire it can take another 5 or so. CPU usage hits the %95-100 mark the entire time. In my process explorer I have many page faults which I believe are related to virtual memory usage so I have tried:
    • increasing virtual memory
    • reducing virtual memory
    • putting the page file on another (non operating system) drive
    • changing Advanced System Performance settings ( Processor Scheduling and Memory Usage) to either "Programs" or "Background Services"/ "System Cache"
    Am I barking up the wrong tree? Nothing seems to help.
    Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

How many workspaces/charts are you opening?
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have 5- 5minute charts open, one half hour chart and 3- 3 minute charts with market internals from a second data provider.
      I am just using one workspace ( plus Default and an empty one with no charts).

Comment

As a test -

- Shut down NT
        - Temporary move all files in the following folder to a temp location My Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\workspaces
        - Restart NT

Any difference?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
          As a test -
          Any difference?
          The control center came up in like, 2 seconds, but I have to kill NT with the ProcessExplorer in this case (perhaps because it is looking for the missing workspaces?)
          Last edited by Taters; 06-10-2008, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Same problem as here: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/v...2506#post42506

You NEVER should check any other option unless advised by our support team.

Comment

Still issues opening workspace

OK at this point I have checked the correct boxes in the diagnostics and tried taking out the workspace folder but it is not helping the speed of opening my charts ( by much).
              They seem to be hanging up on 6E so I removed 6E from my workspace. YM, NQ, ER2, & FESX all together opened in about 30 seconds with no 6E charts.
              I put in a new blank chart with 6E on startup (no indicators just in case one was slowing things down) but NT would then take 6 minutes to start. My hard drive is defragmented and I repaired the database but it still takes way too long with this instrument. Since we can rule out indicators or a corrupt workspace at this point what is left? Going through the above troubleshooting process has reduced the time to open Ninja from over 10 minutes to under 7 but...
              Any clues or other steps I could try?
              Thanks team Ninja!
              Attached Files

Comment

- make sure you are on latest 6.5.1000.3
                - please go through performance tips here: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html

Comment

Thanks for your help Dierk but this is not a general performance issue.
                  NT was taking forever to start and still is BUT we have now narrowed it down to something very specific.
                  WITHOUT the 6E instrument NT start very quickly.
                  WITH the 6E instrument it starts extremely slowly.
                  Seven charts pop right up, then the Euro chart takes around seven minutes to complete the startup as you may read from the thread above.
                  Is there any reason why one instrument would load so slowly from data aleady on my hard drive???

Comment

We will run a quick test here to see if we can replicate.

Comment

Current status:

First, thanks for staying involved with my issue, Ray.
                      After a good deal of trial and error to eliminate potential issues here how it stands now: I deleted all my 6E data via the misc tab in options and compacted the database.
                      Now I can open a 6E chart with no data BUT ONLY UP TO 6 DAYS.
                      So- a blank 6E chart formatted one day back is cool,2 days cool, but when I try to format past 6 days NT locks up. Again this is with no price data to put on the chart and no indicators.Strange indeed!
                      Please let me know if my explanation needs clarification!

Comment

Eureka!

Ninja has always been somewhat sluggish on my computer but the situation had recently become untenable. It was taking between 5 minutes to half an hour to start the program and connect.It would then be fairly stable but changing a chart from say, 5 minutes to 3, or changing an instrument on a chart would freeze the platform for at least a few minutes. No fun, especially if you are in a trade. I had honestly almost given up on NinjaTrader but I was determined to find out what was going on. After going down many very strange blind alleys (see above posts) I finally have found some system settings on my computer that allows NT to run like a freakin' FERRARI on my AMD 3500+! Changes to chart time frames or instruments happen almost instantaneously; best case before was a few seconds.Ironically my new system settings are extremely close to the ones I've always used, but I'm providing them for the forum in case this can help anyone out there with odd performance issues. My CPU usage has been cut from 98% to around 2%!!!
                        That said, "if it ain't broke don't fix it!". If your program is running fine please don't monkey around with your system settings and open up a can of worms. These settings solved a big problem for me but they may start one for you so use at your own risk, especially if you don't find the pictures self-explanatory.
                        Cheers,
                        -Taters
                        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting...Thanks for posting.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
                          2 responses