Equidistant bar spacing option dimmed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equidistant bar spacing option dimmed.

I never liked tick charts because the candles all ran together during fast markets and spread apart during slow ones.
    That is, until I discovered the 'Equidistant bar spacing" option under properties.
    Now I don't use anything else.
    I set and saved equidistant as the default. (True)
    It solved a long standing problem I've had with time based charts, and that was long periods after hours where nothing was traded, leaving long empty spaces on the chart.
    It really messes up the charts and indicators.
    Equidistant tick charts only record actual trades and solved this problem.
    Now for the problem I can't seem to solve.
    If I create a single tick chart, it is now, by default, an equidistant bar type.
    But if I create a multi timeframe tick chart, say 144T and 500T, it is NOT equidistant and the option to change it is set to false and dimmed, so it can not be changed.
    Aftermarket candles are literally inches apart.
    Am I missing some other option I must set?
    I would really like to get this to work.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Andor

Hello Andor,

Thank you for your post.

This is, unfortunately, an expected consequence of mutli-series charting. Because the two series must share one time scale, the bars must be plotted as they actually occurred in real-time as opposed to being neatly spaced as you would see in a single series chart. This is referred to as 'equidistant bar spacing' and will be the case on all multi-series charts, though the effect will be more pronounced when tick based intervals are used. While no workaround is currently possible this is something that development is working in to other ways of addressing in future versions of NinjaTrader.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
      This is, unfortunately, an expected consequence of mutli-series charting. Because the two series must share one time scale, the bars must be plotted as they actually occurred in real-time as opposed to being neatly spaced as you would see in a single series chart. This is referred to as 'equidistant bar spacing' and will be the case on all multi-series charts, though the effect will be more pronounced when tick based intervals are used. While no workaround is currently possible this is something that development is working in to other ways of addressing in future versions of NinjaTrader.
      I understand this is an old thread but it is related to a question I have. Why can't multiple chart types of the same type be put on a chart and still maintain the equidistant display? For example, why can't a 500 volume chart be the main visual candlestick chart and a 2000 (or some other multiple of 500) volume chart be a box or a line on close and still maintain equidistance on the 500? I have to use NT7.

Comment

Originally posted by RJBen View Post
        I understand this is an old thread but it is related to a question I have. Why can't multiple chart types of the same type be put on a chart and still maintain the equidistant display? For example, why can't a 500 volume chart be the main visual candlestick chart and a 2000 (or some other multiple of 500) volume chart be a box or a line on close and still maintain equidistance on the 500? I have to use NT7.
        Let me take a stab at answering my own question.... Can I still not get equidistant spacing on a 500 Vol chart and a 2000 Vol chart because they are still pinned to time and how much time it takes for each to plot? So in a fast market, where 2000 contracts are traded quickly, the 500 vol bars will be compressed while in a slow market where 2000 contracts take longer to trade the 500 vol bars will be expanded? So even though the 2000 vol chart is a multiple of the 500 vol chart, both are based on the time it takes for each to plot?

Can I go out on a limb here and ask if the brilliant developers at NinjaTrader are able to modify equidistant bar spacing in NT7 to what they did in NT8? Sorry, I have to use NT7 and really need this feature.

Comment

Unfortunately, NinjaTrader 7's development life cycle has ended. It is unlikely that any updates other than critical and maintenance updates will occur for NinjaTrader 7.

If the reason you're using NinjaTrader 7 is due to custom NinjaScript, I would recommend contacting the original developer to see if they have a version for NinjaTrader 8.

If there are custom NinjaScripts which you've developed, our NinjaScript Team will be happy to provide resources which will assist you with converting your NinjaScript for use with NinjaTrader 8.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
            If there are custom NinjaScripts which you've developed, our NinjaScript Team will be happy to provide resources which will assist you with converting your NinjaScript for use with NinjaTrader 8.
            That would be awesome!

Comment

Please write into PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com and request assistance with converting your custom NinjaScripts from NinjaTrader 7 to NinjaTrader 8..

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post jaybedreamin  
              Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
              6 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post DJ888