Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Line Break Chart Anomaly!

Hello All,

I have looked all through the forum and can't find a single discussion regarding an anomaly I think might be found in the Line Break Bar with Wicks.

I have observed that when a new bar opens the open price will paint a particular price, however, as the bar develops the open price will change from its original value during the bar and eventually close at something different.

With a normal type chart is the opening price always equal to the closing price of the prior bar?

With a Line Break is the opening price an average or something of where price was to create the new bar? Thus possibly differing from the prior bars close?

I would think that the price at open (regardless if fixed or an average) should not be subject to change for any reason! The open price is just, a one tick snapshot, that defines the price of the opening of a bar.

Is this an issue with the code or something inherent to Line Break chart types.

I appreciate any insight or help anyone might have on resolving this issue.

GuppyDRV

Hello GuppyDRV,

This is as expected for Line Break bars. The Open price can change while the Line Break bar is being created.

The opening price is most of the time equal to the close price of the prior price bar in time based charts. You could experience a gap between price bars, so the Open and Close is not equal.

The Open price is determined if the Line Break bar is an up or down bar. If it is an up bar, the Open will be the same as the High of the prior Line Break bar. If it is a down bar, the Open will be the same as the Low of the prior Line Break bar.

Please see the link below under 'Understanding Line Break bars' for more information on Line Break bars.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by warreng86, 11-10-2020, 02:04 PM
    7 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
    Started by Perr0Grande, Today, 08:16 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes