Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CL Oil Futures Symbol Issue

Hello,

This is a strange problem that I'm probably just reading something wrong on. I have another charting program that I'm thinking of getting rid of, in favor of NT. Right now I have them running side by side from a Rithmic data feed. So far all is well with NT, but with one weird thing I cant understand.

When I pull up the CL Light Sweet Crude Oil futures symbol, I am getting an instrument that does not match the same symbol in my other program. Can you help me figure this out?

The symbol in my other charting program CLJ6 - the latest contract. In NT it says CL 05-16.
    They actually mirror each other except for a time around 5:45am EST this morning. Only CL in NT jumped in price by a HUGE amount. That is not seen on the other software using the same datafeed.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Hello platform115,

By default, NinjaTrader automatically merges data from previous expiries in charts. If you create a CL 05-16 chart before 17/03/2016, historical data is loaded from the 04-16 expiry. Realtime data is received from the 05-16 expiry. There is a price difference between these two expiry months which results in the large price bar.

Can you please select the CL 04-16 in NinjaTrader and check if all data is the same. The letter J refers to April.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hey there, thanks that worked perfectly. I see my mistake. I don't understand how the symbol names correlate. Do you know what I'm looking at when I view CL 05-16? I have checked the CL contracts from my other program for Oct-May, but do not see anything that looks like it.

I'm used to the formal naming conventions (CLG, CLH, CLJ, etc).

Thanks for the quick and helpful response!

Comment

If you now create a CL 05-16 chart in NinjaTrader, it will load all historical data from the 04-16 expiry month. Realtime data is received from the 05-16 expiry. Because there is a price difference between the 04-16 and 05-16 expiry, it results in a large bar.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
          0 responses
          1 view
          0 likes
          Last Post usazencort