Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Why are a whole bunch of stocks not set up in NT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are a whole bunch of stocks not set up in NT?

I installed a brand-new version of NT 7 version 31. For some reason, there are no entries for stocks like DKS, CLB, BCE, and so on. These are listed on the NYSE, it's not like they are penny stocks. Why does NT not have these stocks in there by default, and is there some easy way I can insert a full list of NYSE stocks without having to manually add them one by one?

Here is the help guide article on importing stocks individually or in a list:

http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...stock_symb.htm

NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument.

Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.
    • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools> Instrument Manager
    • Press the 'New' button
    • Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
    • Fill in any relevant information under the 'Misc' tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivity provider
    • Press the 'OK' button
    • If you wish to add an equity, this can be accomplished without following the steps above. Just open a chart (for example) and start typing in the symbol and a new instrument is automatically created.

The instrument is now added to the master instrument list.

Comment

Originally posted by Trader_55 View Post
      Why does NT not have these stocks in there by default, and is there some easy way I can insert a full list of NYSE stocks without having to manually add them one by one?
      The question is totally missed here. The real short answer is No. NT will not expand or maintain the default lists and you have to enter every new symbol manually.

Good luck!

Comment

I can shed some more light here. The stock symbols we pre-load into the platform are all part of composite indices (DOW 30, S&P 500, NASDAQ 100). When a symbol is not included in an index, it will be up to users to set up the instrument.

That being said, we do reviews of existing index instruments from time to time, to ensure we are up to date. For example, I've just added five or more stocks into the NinjaTrader 8 database which were recently added to the S&P 500 and NASDAQ 100 indices, to refresh the associated pre-built instrument lists.
        Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dave View Post
          I can shed some more light here. The stock symbols we pre-load into the platform are all part of composite indices (DOW 30, S&P 500, NASDAQ 100). When a symbol is not included in an index, it will be up to users to set up the instrument.

That being said, we do reviews of existing index instruments from time to time, to ensure we are up to date. For example, I've just added five or more stocks into the NinjaTrader 8 database which were recently added to the S&P 500 and NASDAQ 100 indices, to refresh the associated pre-built instrument lists.
          Is there an easy way to export the entire loaded stock list in the NT database to a text file of some sort? That would make it possible to easily compare which ones are missing against a list of NYSE stocks, for example.

Comment

For NinjaTrader 7, yes. You can find lists of all pre-loaded stocks in the "instruments.txt" file located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 7\db folder on your PC. You will find the symbols separated into the various indices in which they are included.

Note that there is other information in this file as well, so you may need to scroll down a bit to find the symbols. I would also advise working from a copy of this file, rather than the original, because this is what is referenced when you use the 'Reset Instruments' feature within the platform.
            Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by DanielTynera, Today, 01:14 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post DanielTynera  
            Started by yertle, 04-18-2024, 08:38 AM
            9 responses
            0 likes