Forced ATM StopLimit when called from NS strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced ATM StopLimit when called from NS strategy

I have written a bracket order strategy for a client to place entry orders above and below current price on the brokers books x seconds before a news release x ticks above and below the market.

With NinjaTraders limitation on creating a buy limit and sell limit order at same time from a strategy I am using unmanaged order methods. To allow clients flexibility I create ATM stop entries for both sides of the market with a user selectable ATM strategy to manage the trade once taken.

The problem i am having is with Ninjas automatic creation of a StopLimit in place of my StopMarket stop loss order with a mandatory 20 tick limit price upon entry from one of my brackets.

There are countless pages of users complaining of this in the support forums dating back to 2009. Supports assertions that NinjaTrader places a hard coded 20 tick Limit behind my stop price for 'safety' reasons makes no sense (indeed, just the opposite occurs when after entry the next tradeable price is below the stoplimits limit price and Ninja kicks you out of the strategy with a 'Cannot enter a limit order below market' leaving an open order on the books and market in freefall) along with the statement that 20 tick jumps in price are a 'rarity' when in fact this occurs with regularity on news events (the exact condition I'm trying to trade).

I had hope after reading the support thread here but after following the instructions there my automated strategy derived ATM orders are still 20 tick stoplimit orders.
    The fact that my manually placed ATM orders can enter a trade without the forcing of 'stoplimit as stoploss' leads me to think that there must be some compelling internal programming reason that stoplimit orders must to be used when calling from an automated strategy (else why not have given your users an option after 7 years of requests) . If this is so then at least expose the parameter to give us the option to increase this 20 ticks to a larger number.

Is there any hope on the horizon for a work around to this limitation or a future modification to these 'hard coded' limitations that only occur if the ATM is called from a strategy rather than a chart or DOM?

Hello derekphelps,

Using NinjaTrader 7, there is not a way to call an Atm Strategy from a NinjaScript Strategy and have that Atm 'Use stop market for stop loss orders'.

With NinjaTrader 8, Atm strategies will default to using a stop market order for stop loss orders.

May I confirm you have tested for this behavior in NinjaTrader 8 Beta 9 and found this not to be working correctly?
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This strategy was written for a client requesting a NT7 script.

OK...Any automated script calling an ATM will result in a StopLimit order as StopLoss.

Are you aware of any method of calling an ATM from a strategy resulting in anything other than a fixed immutable "20" tick/pip StopLimit as StopLoss value?
      Im hoping that there perhaps is a undocumented/unsupported call where this '20' value may reside and may be changed?
      Im hoping perhaps in the NinjaTrader.sdf with the other ATM template information?

Understood that this would be an unsupported method of changing the limit value, and so i'm not asking 'how' to do it, I'm just asking if the value is stored there or is somehow truly 'bafflingly' hard coded into the NT7 runtime engine and walled off from the outside world.

I ask this because there are many automated strategys out there in your NT7 user base calling ATMs and (depending on the security) a 20 tick jump in price on a news event or black swan event can often occur leaving a trader with a naked open position that he was counting on his ATM stop loss to protect him from.
      As my strategy is designed to place trades just prior to these events i'm reaching for a method (documented or undocumented) to at least widen this protective range on a bad entry.

Comment

Hello derekphelps,

No, there is not a way to change the hard coded 20 tick offset for the limit of the stop loss from a NinjaScript Strategy.

Instead, you would need to stop using Atm Strategies from the NinjaScript Strategy and begin coding the logic for the exits in the script.

However, I mentioned that the behavior of submitting a stop market order has been implemented with NinjaTrader 8 in response to your inquiry if there is any expected changes in the future for this.
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by elirion, Today, 01:36 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post elirion
        by elirion

Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
        0 responses