Cannot start, error message.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot start, error message.

Unable to load custom assembly. Original version has been restored. You need to recompile your customer NinjaScript files. Please restart NinjaTrader.

I think this has to do with the fact that the My Documents folder is located on a file server.

What is the work around for this? Other programs function fine.

Could be, in any case, we highly advise running NinjaTrader in this configuration.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

in what configuration?

What is the work around? Does Ninjatrader require some files to be on C: in a certain folder? Perhaps a symlink would fix it? Is there a config file that can be edited?

I haven't run into a program that absolutely will not run unless it has a file with My Documents on the C: drive.

Comment

My Documents on file server. It may run but we don't guarantee this operation.

Comment

fixed it myself by editing the Config.xml

it had a path in there that needed to be changed

Comment

That may do the trick but I must state (for future viewers of this thread) that

"We highly advise NOT to edit the config file as you can screw up your NT installation"

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm in the same boat ("My Documents" points to a file server). How can I get into NT to point it to a local disk (which I would do anyway for this particular application)?

If I temporarily set my My Documents to a local disk, can I start NT and make a configuration change in the app to hard code it to a local directory and then change My Documents back?

In case it matters, I had installed NT under a different username with the same situation, however after I changed the .NET 2.0 trust for intranet to 'full' it worked. When I went to run NT on the username I'm currently having issues with I ended up having to uninstall/re-install NT as the 2nd user and now I can't get past this error.

Comment

Hello,

NinjaTrader must be on the C: drive and your Documents folder.

Your user name must have administrative authorization in Windows as well.

If I missunderstood you please clarify.
                DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I don't think you misunderstood, but let me write it out with a bit more detail.

Before I had to re-install Windows, I had NT installed on local drive D (D:\Finance\NinjaTrader) with "My Documents" pointing to local drive F (F:\Personal, specifically) and it worked fine - I didn't have to do anything special to get it to run - it ran fine.

I then re-installed Windows after building a file server. NT is still installed in the same place but "My Documents" points to a network drive (P:\). I saw a post somewhere in these forums that in order to get that to work .NET 2.0 had to have it's security policy changed for Local Intranet to Full and after I changed that it worked.

What then broke is me trying to start NT under a different login on the same PC (as to why see below). After I logged in and tried to launch NT it acted like it was in the middle of an install and tried to find a temp file that is created while the installer is running.

So, I logged back in as the 1st user, uninstalled NT using the native uninstaller followed by a cleanup using Total Uninstall (with which I had monitored the install in the first place), logged back in as the 2nd user, installed it (no errors) and then when I launch I get this error. I have confirmed that the .NET configuration is still showing Full for Local Intranet.

The whole user thing is because I install everything (apps, drivers, etc.) using the XP administrator account and I "do work" using a named user account (e.g., kadiir). Currently, "kadiir" has admin rights (in the Administrators group) but my end goal is to reduce named accounts to no higher than Power Users privileges (it cuts down on spyware/virus risk).

So, at this point, the primary differences before and after my Windows re-isntall are that the "My Documents" pointer moved to a network drive (but, like I said above, it worked at one point) and on the 'before re-install' build I had installed NT using the same account with which I was going to operate it (i..e, I didn't do the "install w/ admin, use with 'kadiir' but just installed with 'kadiir' - 'kadiir had admin rights at the time of install & use).

As far as your statement that NT only works when installed on the C drive, if that's by design I have to ask your programmers when then plan to advance their programming skills beyond the late 80s (when it was last common practice to write a program so that it only worked in its default install directory)? If that is indeed true then I guess I'll dump NT and move onto something a bit more modern (I'm testing out NT in anticipation of using it as my preferred platform).
                  Last edited by kadiir; 01-05-2009, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Hi kadiir, as it was pointed out earlier in this thread, this type of setup may work, but we do not advise going down that route...our usage and installation recommendations stand as per Ben's post below. You could try to reinstall your .NET framework fresh from the admin user account that installed NinjaTrader.
                    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by mgco4you, Today, 09:46 PM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                    Started by wzgy0920, Today, 09:53 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes