CQG & Multiple Accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CQG & Multiple Accounts

After reading through the forums, I figured I better just ask the experts.

Currently, I have 7 Sim accounts. 4 are tied to 4 different ATMs, 2 are tied to 1 ATM, and 2 tied to another ATM. My purpose of doing this is so I can can accurately keep track of each strategy, and more importantly keep concurrent trades on the same market from clashing with one another. This has worked perfectly in Sim trading.

Now that I want to go live with my strategies, what are my options to duplicate this setup? I'm running the NT platform on a VPS and I am using Amp with CQG. I have read I can't have multiple CQG connections running at the same time. If that is the case, is the following my only option?

1. Get multiple CQG credentials from AMP
    2. Create several virtual machines
    3. Install and license a copy of NT in each VM
    4. Connect to different CQG connections in each VM and run strategies in each

Is there a better and cheaper way to do this?

Hello,

Thanks for posting today.

Correct, you would not be able to have multiple CQG connections running on the same machine. Outside of using multiple accounts associated with the same CQG connection on one machine, this would be the only way I can see this working as expected.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks,

Is there any broker and/or feed that will allow multiple, but seperate account connections in one instance of NT?

Comment

Hello manten808,
        Thanks for your reply.
        Yes, the known ones are: NinjaTrader FXCM, FXCM, and Interactive Brokers (with special set up instructions). You would want to verify with your broker,
        BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

So I assume you guys have a good number of your customers will day trade the same instrument, resulting in concurrent on the same instrument. What is the normal setup for these customers, are most using multiple accounts and machines?

I know I've brought this up on another thread, but its some what perplexing that multiple accounts, machines, and licensed copies of NT is needed just to ensure separate ATM strategies do not conflict with each other when trading concurrent strategies on the same instrument.

Is this not the primary function of using DisplaySelectedAtmStrategyOnly in Chart Trader?

I only trade the /ES, /NQ, and /YM. I just want to make sure this is the only option before I start putting more money in separate copies of NT, VPSs, etc.

Comment

Hello manten808,
            Thanks for your reply.
            I would recommend that you look into having multiple accounts with your broker that you can access with the same log in. This way you can connect to one connection and access the multiple accounts within 1 NinjaTrader.
            Most users will scale in and out of their current positions and do not require keeping items separate. Users who do need it separate will use the "DisplaySelectedAtmStrategyOnly" option if they are using ATMs or will use multiple accounts.
            BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Fair enough, thanks for the reply Brandon. I'll give them a call.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brandon View Post
                Hello manten808,
                Thanks for your reply.
                I would recommend that you look into having multiple accounts with your broker that you can access with the same log in. This way you can connect to one connection and access the multiple accounts within 1 NinjaTrader.
                Most users will scale in and out of their current positions and do not require keeping items separate. Users who do need it separate will use the "DisplaySelectedAtmStrategyOnly" option if they are using ATMs or will use multiple accounts.
                +1

And, note that, if *all* your accounts are with the same exact broker, then only one set of credentials should be provided to you by your broker.

Thus, only one "account connection" is setup in NinjaTrader -- connecting to it shows all accounts the broker has associated with those credentials in the Account dropdown on Chart Trader or Strategy setup.

But, my point is, using multiple accounts at the *same* broker does not require a multi-broker license from NinjaTrader.

If this surprises you, realize that multiple accounts (under one set of credentials) at a single broker is not a multi-broker scenario -- so a standard single-broker license works fine.
                Last edited by bltdavid; 05-25-2016, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manten808 View Post
                  Fair enough, thanks for the reply Brandon. I'll give them a call.
                  Your data feed is a different issue from your account. You should not need multiple connections to the same broker.

In other words, multiple accounts at the same broker will all use the same data feed, so it is hard to see what issue you are raising.

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post
                    +1

And, note that, if *all* your accounts are with the same exact broker, then only one set of credentials should be provided to you by your broker.

Thus, only one "account connection" is setup in NinjaTrader -- connecting to it shows all accounts the broker has associated with those credentials in the Account dropdown on Chart Trader or Strategy setup.

But, my point is, using multiple accounts at the *same* broker does not require a multi-broker license from NinjaTrader.

If this surprises you, realize that multiple accounts (under one set of credentials) at a single broker is not a multi-broker scenario -- so a standard single-broker license works fine.
                    Thanks, I am aware it will not require a multi-broker license. I just need to confirm if my broker supports mulit-accounts over a single feed and have it configured on their end.

Comment

over a single feed
                      ... using a single credential ...

If they don't, time to switch.

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
                        Your data feed is a different issue from your account. You should not need multiple connections to the same broker.

In other words, multiple accounts at the same broker will all use the same data feed, so it is hard to see what issue you are raising.
                        If the multiple accounts at the same broker have different credentials, he will only be able to login into one account at a time.

This, I believe, is the scenario he wants to avoid.

Under the hood, two feeds are required: the order feed and the data feed. The "multi-broker" license means that multiple order feed connections are supported, but only as long as each order feed connection uses a different adapter, ie, two different accounts at two different brokers both using Continuum is not supported. That is, even with the multi-broker license, there can only be one order feed connected via the Continuum adapter.

Thus, OP should avoid having separate credentials for each account -- he should make sure that all new accounts created at his current broker are added under the same credentials his broker gave him for his first account.

Comment

After reading through the forums, I figured I better just ask the experts.

Currently, I have 7 Sim accounts. 4 are tied to 4 different ATMs, 2 are tied to 1 ATM, and 2 tied to another ATM. My purpose of doing this is so I can can accurately keep track of each strategy, and more importantly keep concurrent trades on the same market from clashing with one another. This has worked perfectly in Sim trading.

Now that I want to go live with my strategies, what are my options to duplicate this setup? I'm running the NT platform on a VPS and I am using Amp with CQG. I have read I can't have multiple CQG connections running at the same time. If that is the case, is the following my only option?

1. Get multiple CQG credentials from AMP
                          2. Create several virtual machines
                          3. Install and license a copy of NT in each VM
                          4. Connect to different CQG connections in each VM and run strategies in each

Is there a better and cheaper way to do this?
                          Are you using NT7 or NT8 with multiple SIM (testing) accounts? If you are using NT7, please tell me where you set up additional SIM accounts. Thanks!

Best regards,

Dolfan

Comment

Hello Dolfan,

Thanks for posting on the Forum today.

Are you a live license holder? With a live license, you may create multiple Sim accounts to use just as you would use the Sim101 account. With the Sim license, however, you will only have access to the Sim101 account.

To create a new Sim account:

1. Inside the Control Center, please click Tools and then select Options.
                            2. Choose the Simulator tab, and then press the Accounts button.
                            3. Next, enter in a desired name for your new simulation account and click "Save".
                            4. A message will appear confirming the creation of your new account.

Please note that the new Sim account will become effective next time you connect.
                            Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by LawrenHom, Today, 10:45 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post LawrenHom  
                            Started by love2code2trade, Yesterday, 01:45 PM
                            4 responses
                            0 likes