Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FXCM connection - one more attempt to try to fix this

Guys,

This is an outstanding issue that has been going on for a long time. It's nothing to do with me or my setup, other people have reported exactly the same behavior, and it's a known defect. The reality is that the FXCM connection to Ninjatrader basically just craps out under periods of high stress. The data feed itself just stops transmitting to NT, and the price action just freezes. This happens a number of times a day when there is high volatility and rapid price movement, as there has been the last couple of days. The same thing was happening months ago during the highly volatile sessions. It is more prevalent with CFD products than currencies.

I am not saying that this is actually NT's fault. In fact, it could be FXCM. However, it is still NT's responsibility to go ahead and bug FXCM and get them to fix this. All of this is just code, guys - bugs are bugs, and they are fixable. If you guys can set up a copy of NT running and connecting to FXCM for trading tomorrow and Friday (and next week if it's still volatile), then you should be able to see the freezing issue. Maybe you can get some more detailed information about what is going on and bug FXCM about it. They DO have the ability to keep streaming data, because their own web platform continues to work... so it's just something about the connection between their servers and your software.

Right now it's very difficult to trade when at any given moment the entire system can just freeze. Even if it is the fault of FXCM, this is making your system (NT7) look bad, so you really should want to harass FXCM into doing their part. This has been an issue for years apparently... maybe the next few volatile sessions is an opportunity to get someone to look at it more closely and re-initiate contact with FXCM about it.

Hello Trader_55,

Can you please send me all your log and trace files, so I can investigate. Go to Control Center-->Help-->Mail to Support in NinjaTrader. Put 'Att Jason, FXCM connection - one more attempt to try to fix this' in the subject field and enable 'Log and trace files'.

Please include at what date and time (as per your PC clock) the issue occurred last.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

OK, I just emailed you. However, you are not going to find anything there which will help you, as I have done this before, as have other people. This is a known problem, which needs to be solved by you guys talking directly to FXCM and getting on their case about it. You guys need to work together to figure it out, it is not an issue on my end or anyone else's setup of NT, it is between you and FXCM. If you dedicate yourselves to solving it by setting up your own connection and debugging it, putting in code to detect when the data feed has stopped and then providing more detailed debug logging, that is a start. All you have to do is decide to dedicate some resources to it, and decide that it is important enough to do and important enough to bug FXCM about. Or, continue to let your product have dropped connections with FXCM during high volatility times 2-3 times per day, which is what happened today again.

Comment

Originally posted by Trader_55 View Post
        Guys,

This is an outstanding issue that has been going on for a long time. It's nothing to do with me or my setup, other people have reported exactly the same behavior, and it's a known defect. The reality is that the FXCM connection to Ninjatrader basically just craps out under periods of high stress. The data feed itself just stops transmitting to NT, and the price action just freezes. This happens a number of times a day when there is high volatility and rapid price movement, as there has been the last couple of days. The same thing was happening months ago during the highly volatile sessions. It is more prevalent with CFD products than currencies.

I am not saying that this is actually NT's fault. In fact, it could be FXCM. However, it is still NT's responsibility to go ahead and bug FXCM and get them to fix this. All of this is just code, guys - bugs are bugs, and they are fixable. If you guys can set up a copy of NT running and connecting to FXCM for trading tomorrow and Friday (and next week if it's still volatile), then you should be able to see the freezing issue. Maybe you can get some more detailed information about what is going on and bug FXCM about it. They DO have the ability to keep streaming data, because their own web platform continues to work... so it's just something about the connection between their servers and your software.

Right now it's very difficult to trade when at any given moment the entire system can just freeze. Even if it is the fault of FXCM, this is making your system (NT7) look bad, so you really should want to harass FXCM into doing their part. This has been an issue for years apparently... maybe the next few volatile sessions is an opportunity to get someone to look at it more closely and re-initiate contact with FXCM about it.
        Trader, I thought i had it fixed... ran all last week without a NT silent data freeze.
        I have been pinging FXCM every 30 seconds.

I have had a packet snffer running on the price data and one on the trade data.
        I have found that the data stays live which is most likely the reason the connection shows green.
        So the problems seams to me like it is a NT software issue not a FXCM data connection issue.

I thought i was on a winner because I would be alerted by my data sniffers that data transfer had stopped but it actually hadn't

The same issue is with NT7 and NT8

Comment

Hello radicaltrader,

Can you please send me all your log and trace files as well. Go to Control Center-->Help-->Mail to Support in NinjaTrader. Put 'Att Jason, FXCM connection - one more attempt to try to fix this' in the subject field and enable 'Log and trace files'.

In addition, please include for what instruments realtime data stopped or did all instruments not receive realtime data anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by radicaltrader View Post
            Trader, I thought i had it fixed... ran all last week without a NT silent data freeze.
            I have been pinging FXCM every 30 seconds.

I have had a packet snffer running on the price data and one on the trade data.
            I have found that the data stays live which is most likely the reason the connection shows green.
            So the problems seams to me like it is a NT software issue not a FXCM data connection issue.

I thought i was on a winner because I would be alerted by my data sniffers that data transfer had stopped but it actually hadn't

The same issue is with NT7 and NT8
            I am wondering: do you by any chance have multiple connections open to FXCM? I mean two copies of NT running in virtual machines, or one copy of NT plus the FXCM web trader or some other platform open? I have been told that it could be an issue with more than one connection causing problems. If it is happening to you with only a single connection to NT, then that can't be it.

Comment

Trader_55 is referring the item below from the FXCM disclaimer:

4) Using the same FXCM account in NinjaTrader and FXCM's trading station at the same time can cause oddities in both software since they share the same API connection. If you closed an instrument in FXCM's trading station, that instrument will no longer receive quote updates in NinjaTrader.

Comment

Sent them in yesterday I couldn't see anything, It all just stops updating. even if you change instruments it is not updating... but at the same time data does come in through the network to FXCM and from FXCM data servers.

Comment

NT connected only.

I have avoided connecting using anything else for this same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by radicaltrader View Post
                    Sent them in yesterday I couldn't see anything, It all just stops updating. even if you change instruments it is not updating... but at the same time data does come in through the network to FXCM and from FXCM data servers.
                    If this is the case, can't NT support/dev set up the same thing and see if it is happening for them? They should be able to debug this by putting in some extra trace or logging statements to see what the code is doing in these circumstances.

Comment

I am running charts for the $US30 and $GER30_CFDEUR - the instruments you are using. I have not experienced realtime data stopping so far in my testing.

@radicaltrader, do you have a ticket number of this case?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                        I am running charts for the $US30 and $GER30_CFDEUR - the instruments you are using. I have not experienced realtime data stopping so far in my testing.

@radicaltrader, do you have a ticket number of this case?
                        I actually had a stoppage today with 2 copies of NT running. I now have only one connected to FXCM, no stoppages so far. I will keep testing.

Comment

The problem is it may go a whole week with out an issue... another issue i have had which made me initially think it was FXCM. I had FXCM Demo updating price data and live for orders. The orders side froze and demo kept updating charts

Comment

Ticket Number 1532445

Comment

fingers and toes crossed

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post gentlebenthebear