Symbol Map for Interactive Brokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symbol Map for Interactive Brokers

Sorry if this has already been answered X number of times, but I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer.

The example security I'll use here is CL (WTI Futures), but I'd like to know how to do this in general.

Today, the only way I "know" (based on pre-installed examples) how to map CL to Interactive brokers is:

CL|NYMEX|||1

No doubt that's the front month CL contract. What I'd like to know is how can I be more specific: Like, I want to trade CLU6 (September '16 CL). Or, i'd like to trade 6JM6. Right now, that default map is "JPY".

Is there a FAQ or quick-reference guide to resolving all of these symbol maps?

Hello cgeorgan, and thank you for your question.

The symbol mapping between Ninja and IB will not give you control over expiry dates. Typically it is best to simply use the defaults that come with NinjaTrader. If you have a new symbol that you would like to map, or an existing mapping is not working, please let us know. Often for new symbols, the symbol's name, alone, will be enough; you can see the E-mini S&P (symbol ES) as an example.

You can set any expiry - including the CL's - Ninja side from the Tools -> Instrument Manager, in the lower right, when adding an instrument to one of your instrument lists.

Please let us know if there are any other ways we can help.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JessicaP View Post
      Hello cgeorgan, and thank you for your question.

The symbol mapping between Ninja and IB will not give you control over expiry dates. Typically it is best to simply use the defaults that come with NinjaTrader. If you have a new symbol that you would like to map, or an existing mapping is not working, please let us know. Often for new symbols, the symbol's name, alone, will be enough; you can see the E-mini S&P (symbol ES) as an example.

You can set any expiry - including the CL's - Ninja side from the Tools -> Instrument Manager, in the lower right, when adding an instrument to one of your instrument lists.

Please let us know if there are any other ways we can help.

Ahh, this makes some sense. So, to be clear: If I choose the discrete contract month (I.e. "CL 09-16"), and use the mapping "CL|NYMEX|||1" for Interactive Brokers, this code correctly transmits to IB that I want to trade the September '16 contract?

Comment

Correct. I would like to mention, if you would like to ensure only the contract month you have selected is shown, from the NT7 Control Center you will want to select Tools -> Options -> Data and change the Merge Policy to "Do Not Merge", then press OK.
        Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by habeebft, Today, 07:27 AM
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_ChristopherS  
        Started by AveryFlynn, Today, 04:57 AM
        1 response
        0 likes