NT7 32bit Occasionally Won't Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT7 32bit Occasionally Won't Shutdown

A few times I've noticed when I select File Exit from the Control Panel, after clicking on Save Workspace or Don't Save Workspace the program fails to shutdown. I have to reboot Windows 10 in order to force NT7 32bit to close.

This only happens occasionally. Only one time when this happened, I did noticed there was a very small Abort button in the lower right hand corner of the Control Panel that said "downloading data". Restarting the program after the Windows reboot is fine.

Is this a Windows 10 compatibility problem?

I'm using TDA connect, so I can't try connecting with the 64 bit version of NT7.

Hmm...No issues in NT7 with TDA on Win7.

I am connected all week (Sunday night) and only disconnect Friday evening.

Comment

Hello borland,

Thank you for writing in.

Please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Mail to Platform Support.

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please reference my name and a link to this thread in the body of the email.
      Zachary G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

email, log, trace has been sent per your instructions. Auto-generated confirmation email also received.

Comment

Apparently nothing was found by Platform Support in my trace or log files indicating what is causing this program exit failure.

I tried Zachary's suggestions which included deleting the file named _Workspaces.XML and testing without my default Workspace open. His suggestion to try different charts and loading various components of my workspace is that this kind of troubleshooting is too time consuming considering the program fails to exit infrequently.

I have since changed the Window 10 properties settings to running NT7 (32bit) in Windows 7 compatibility mode. I'll update this post later to let you know what affect this had if any.

Comment

Originally posted by borland View Post
            Apparently nothing was found by Platform Support in my trace or log files indicating what is causing this program exit failure.

I have since changed the Window 10 properties settings to running NT7 (32bit) in Windows 7 compatibility mode. I'll update this post later to let you know what affect this had if any.

How often are you disconnecting? At a specific time?

I could try to use my Win 10 machine for testing this coming week...

Comment

I've only been using NT7 on this Win10 PC for 2-3 weeks. Disconnecting several times a day, have been staying mostly connected weekdays during regular exchange trading hours. The PC is used for other things so I'm not coding all day long.

When finish and if NT7 appears stable enough, the strategy will run on a Windows 7 PC used exclusively for automated trading.

Comment

Hello borland,

Can you test on a new workspace to see if you are also seeing this behavior on there as well?

As a test, please take the following steps to force NinjaTrader to start without your saved workspace. You will have the option to reopen these after our tests.
                • Shut down NinjaTrader
                • Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\workspaces
                • Delete the file named "_Workspaces.XML". DO NOT delete the 'workspaces' folder - only delete the '_Workspaces.XML' file within the 'workspaces' folder
                • After deleting this file, restart NinjaTrader which should startup without any workspaces.
                • Once NinjaTrader has started on just the control center, please open a new chart with no custom bar types/indicators/templates and test for issues.

*Please note this will not delete your workspace however the new blank workspace will be named Untitled1. If you have a workspace already named Untitled1 however you will not want to save the workspace when exiting NinjaTrader, otherwise it will overwrite it.
                If there are no issues on this new workspace, please try opening the previous workspace by going to File--> Workspaces--> Open workspace.

If this reintroduces issues, I would suggest rebuilding your workspace, adding 1 indicator at a time. Please keep track of what indicators you add back in so that we can narrow down what indicator is causing the issue if the issue returns. I also suggest making a backup of your workspace so we can restore a backup if the issue returns.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over backing up and restoring.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

Per my post (#5), deleting _Workspace.XML file did not eliminate the program Exit problem. After reloading my saved Workspace the problem returns.

Also mentioned in post # 5, I am using NT7 on Window10 machine. I can now confirm that running NT7 in Windows 7 compatibility mode doesn’t correct the problem.

Since this is a random issue, it is difficult and time consuming to try all possible combinations of things to eliminate the cause. I’m currently trying to isolate the problem with my Market Analyzer setup.

Also I noticed that when I unsuccessfully Exit the program, if I left click on a chart that has a strategy (enabled = false), I can’t open the Strategy Grid (greyed out). If the Control Center’s Strategy Tab is viewable, the same loaded Strategy disappears as a line item from the Tab. However when reloading the program after a Windows reboot, everything is as the Workspace was configured.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
                  11 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post cmtjoancolmenero  
                  Started by FrazMann, Today, 11:21 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post FrazMann