Oreder only open at Session Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oreder only open at Session Open

I have a small strategy that I have built around an indicator that I have been working on for some time. To sum it up, the indicator draws lines on a chart based on historical data. The strategy seeks out price action consolidation zones where the bars do not move above the resistance line or below the support line. After reading X amount of consolidation, the strategy then looks for a price break above of the resistance line and goes long OR, a break below the support line and goes short. It seems to be working fine except, it is only taking orders at the beginning of a session (day) and missing all the opportunities in between. Has anyone ever heard of something like this?

I have no desire to provide all my code here and the strategy is some 550 lines long so it is impractical, but any insight at all would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Dolfan

Hello Dolfan,

Thank you for your post.

Are the orders filled during the session? If so, does another order occur after the fill when a condition is meet? What have you set EntriesPerDirection and EntryHandling to?
    Have you added drawing objects to the strategy to have it draw when the conditions return true?

I look forward to your response.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
      Hello Dolfan,

Thank you for your post.

Are the orders filled during the session? If so, does another order occur after the fill when a condition is meet? What have you set EntriesPerDirection and EntryHandling to?
      Have you added drawing objects to the strategy to have it draw when the conditions return true?

I look forward to your response.
      1. Yes orders are filled but again, only at the session break. Here is a pic for clarification. Note here that it read the bars between the upper magenta and red lines, then erroneously read a cross over to the down side when the session changed. This entry is an error as the stop loss illustrates. http://screencast.com/t/qswRpXTn
      2. Orders are not filled again until the next session break if "conditions are met" once again.
      3. I have not set any Entry handling conditions.
      4. I have not added any drawing statements.

Best regards,

Dolfan
      Last edited by Dolfan; 08-09-2016, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

Going back to the original question:
        It seems to be working fine except, it is only taking orders at the beginning of a session (day) and missing all the opportunities in between. Has anyone ever heard of something like this?
        Depending on the logic and EntriesPerDirection/EntryHandling, this could be expected. If the strategy is set to one entry per direction and has Entered but not yet exited, the opportunities in between would be omitted based on the entries per direction. Could this be a possibility? Without seeing what specific logic is used this could only be a guess.

Regarding the image, it appears that the strategy had entered near the start of the session, and then a trail stop was hit. The only information I could take from the image is that the strategy has some condition that controls the entry (SellShort) and also the strategy uses a trail stop. If this is in relation to the original question, I would expect no additional orders or logic would happen in the time period between the Entry and the TrailStop depending on the EntriesPerDirection. Again this is a guess.

The only thing I could really suggest would be to use Drawing Objects to mark relevant variables or conditions to ensure the actual conditions are happening as expected. You could also review the EntryHandling section of the help guide to see if this is related to what you are seeing:

Outside of that I would need to better understand the logic and conditions to be able to provide any sort of relevant answer.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Waxavi
        by Waxavi

Started by TradeForge, Today, 02:09 AM
        0 responses