Problems with Backfill for PFG Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Backfill for PFG Connection

This is a rather lengthy post as the problem is somewhat complex. I normally shut down my computer completely at 10 PM and then reboot and reload NT in the morning around 7 AM. I'm trading the Globex markets ie. NQ 09-08. I really need the overnight data in order to properly setup filter calculations at the start of the next day. That means I need for PFG to properly backfill data from 10 PM the prior night to 7 AM in the morning. It's simply not happening. I've already discussed this with PFG support and they suggested all the usual things to check which I had already done. This included checking the session begin and end times in chart properties 12AM for both. I went to tools>historical data>reload and got nothing. I created a new chart using 1 min. instead of my normal range chart and repeated these steps. The result was the same, a big gap in data. This process has been repeated for the past few days so it's not a one off glitch.

Last night I decided to perform an experiment to troubleshoot my own theory. I believed that PFG was sending down the data from their server because my PFG trading software does correctly show all data throughout the night. However, there was a chance PFG was using a different server since the IP address is different from that used in my trading program. The experiment was simple. Don't shut down the computer and run it all night. The result was what I expected. There was complete data indicated in all charts. I created a new one minute chart (I normally use range charts) to see the data more clearly over time and it loaded up fine. I also created new 1 min. charts for other symbols such as ES and ER2 and they loaded up fine. This experiment proves two things. The PFG server is properly sending in data during the night session and the charts can properly display this data over a 24 hour period when it's available.

Then something odd caught my eye. Down in the lower left hand corner the data connection was indicated in red "Connection Lost- PFG server". This was interesting as data was currently coming in just fine for all Globex markets. Charts were updating and my market analyzer with TimeLastTick was updating just fine. Hmmmm. Out of curiosity I decided to shut down the PFG data connection and of course all data stopped. I then tried to reconnect the PFG data connection but the program wouldn't let me because the PFG label under FILE>CONNECT was still greyed out. Still in the experimental mood. I shut down NT completely and intentionally waited about 20 min. before rebooting NT. The PFG connection started right up no problem and the lower left hand corner showed in green Connected-PFG as usual. As per my theory- there is no backfill, sure enough there was a gap in data for the 20 minutes obvious by viewing a one minute chart. The trading activity is sufficient as this time of morning 7:20 AM to be very sure of this. This was for symbol NQ 09-08. I went through the usual routing of trying to reload the data via tools>historical data and this as usual had no effect.

My conclusion is simple. Backfill doesn't work properly for the overnight Globex session for the common Globex symbols. I'm not sure if the PFG data indication at the bottom of the Control Center is related or not but there's a problem there as well.

Does anyone know for sure if overnight backfill works properly with BarChart.Com ? I'd be inclined to go with them right away as a workaround if it does.

Trying to understand...
    - double check your default chart template has no (!) session definition
    - are you saying that as you open a new chart 7AM, there is no overnight 1-minute backfill data since 10PM last night?

Please try to be as explicit as possible.

Also: the connection issues you encountered should be resolved with next update available 2-3 weeks from now.

Comment

As Explicit as possible

Ok here are two screen shots of a typical setup using 1 min. charts for the NQ. I am using the default session provided by NT. PFG actually suggested 12AM to 12AM session times. I could care less if I lose 1 or 2 minutes around midnight. Yes you have it right. There is no backfill for the globex session overnight. The only way I can obtain overnight data right now is to run the computer nonstop continuously.
      Attached Files

Comment

2nd attachment

2nd attachment failed to go through due to size limits.

It shows session begins 12:01 AM
        Session ends 12:00 AM

Are you saying these fields should be left blank?

Comment

Default is session begin=session end=12AM.

Just tested 30 mins ago and pulled a new 1-minute chart from PFG for NQ 09-08 no problem -> no gaps whatsoever

Comment

I tested that as well

This problem doesn't seem to be that sensitive to start/end session times. I will try 12:00 AM for both again but I had tried several combinations that made some logical sense and the end result was always the same- no backfill overnight. What PFG system did you run your test on. I am using system B which uses a different IP address for the order server.

Comment

Sorry, I'm not familiar with "system B". Our account runs here:
              tradeServer='12.36.73.184/2000' quotesServer='12.36.73.181/2001' historicalMinuteServer='38.115.151.243/9002' historicalTickServer='38.115.151.248/9002'

Comment

PFG Setup

Ok here is a screenshot of my NT setting for PFG system B. The PFG folks have seen this and think it's fine. Aside from the lack of back fill, it is working fine.
                Attached Files

Comment

Please post a screenshot of the 1-minute chart with gap. Thanks

Comment

Here is the short 20 minute gap

There is no major gap for last night since I ran the computer all night long. Here is the short 20 minute gap that occurred this morning when I had to reboot for the erroneous data disconnection indication. See the original post below for more on that problem.
                    Attached Files

Comment

To clarify:
                      a) you would get this gap as you now pull up a new chart?
                      b) which timezone is this?

Comment

a) Yes - that was a new chart
                        b) EST

Comment

I don't have this gap on my connection. Looks like an inconsistency on PFG's data servers. Will fire of a support request to PFG.

Comment

According PFG support there are no gaps. Sorry, there is nothing more we can do. Please follow up with PFG support.

Comment

I suggest using the same IP address that we are using for Historical minute data.

RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by alifarahani, 04-19-2024, 09:40 AM
                              9 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                              Started by mmckinnm, Today, 01:34 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes