Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Save chart data as historical - effect on performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save chart data as historical - effect on performance?

Hello,

If I put a check mark in Tools > Options > Data Tab > "Save chart data as historical" will this have any effect on the performance of NT particularly when I have multiple markets open at one time?

Also, I've never had this box checked. Why then has it always been possible for me to open a chart whilst not connected to my data provider the next day? That is, it always seemed to me that the chart data was being saved. Even if I check in Documents\NinjaTrader 7\db I always see chart data downloading into there when I open a new chart.

Thanks,
    Michelle
    Last edited by michelle99; 11-16-2016, 09:38 PM.

Hello,

Thanks for your note.

This setting is intended for use with data providers that do not provider any historical data and can have a negative effect on performance. I have included some other Performance Tips at the below link:

NinjaTrader will cache data that was previously loaded in the chart, this is regular function.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Drew,

Tahnks for the tips on comnputer performance. Just one thing I am not so sure of is the historical data. I have Ninja Brokerage and Continuum as my data provider. Should I uncheck then the *"Save chart data as historical" as I assume both Ninja Brokerage and Continuum provides historical data. Sorry, maybe very basic but I want to be sure, thank you.

Comment

Hi Drew,

Thank you for the tips!

I am just not sure of one thing. I have Ninja as my Brokerage and Continuum as my data provider. So I assume they provide historical data, correct? So I should uncheck the *"Save chart data as historical" Sorry this maybe very basic but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks,
        Liz

Comment

Hello LizzyK,

Thanks for posting.

Yes, NinjaTrader Continuum supports historical Data. The link below will forward you to the Data by Provider section of the NT8 Help Guide. There you will find a table that displays all NinjaTrader supported connectivity providers as well as the historical and real-time data provided by each.

You may leave 'Save chart data as historical' checked or unchecked. There is an internal cache of the data but this feature is for use with connections that offer historical data to make loading charts faster, not to save the data itself.

For more information please see the the link below to a previous discussion on this topic.

ArceliaNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_DrewO View Post
            Hello,

Thanks for your note.

This setting is intended for use with data providers that do not provider any historical data and can have a negative effect on performance. I have included some other Performance Tips at the below link:

NinjaTrader will cache data that was previously loaded in the chart, this is regular function.
            Hi,

I'd like to know in terms of processing time ( milliseconds ) : how bad would it affect the real performance of a live strategy ?

Thanks

Comment

Hello pstrusi,

Thanks for posting.

That will depend on if your data feed provider supports historical data and your current NinjaTrader settings.

Due to standard latency, even 50ms delay (which is normal) could be the difference between a 10:30:59 and 10:31:00 time stamp.

To minimize latency please see the Lagging Market Data and Miscellaneous sections of the NT7 help guide here: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ance_tips2.htm
              ArceliaNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by r68cervera, Today, 05:29 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post r68cervera  
              Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes