Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot find javaw.exe

Hello-

I've searched for this issue and the previous answers have left me lacking.

Today I tried to log into TWS via IB using a connection that I've been using without issue since 9/15/16. I got the following message:

Login failed: Can't find Java executable at 'C:\Windows\system32\javaw.exe' Unable to start TWS.

I've tried a few things thus far:
    • Uninstalling TWS, then installing the latest build (952.3b, Nov 15 2016). Shows Java v. 1.8.0_60).
    • Uninstalling Java and downloading the latest (8.111)
    • Moving Javaw.exe to the specified folder (it's in Program Files(x86)), as well as SysWOW64

When I moved javaw.exe to the system32 and the SysWOW64 folders folder, I got a new message:

login failed IB adapter startTws: can't find registry key 'Trader Workstation'

I want to also note that I tried going back to an older "supported" version of TWS - build 944.3, April 1 2014. Same error message. I went a step further and updated the target on Trader Workstation 4.0 to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_111\bin\javaw.exe" from what it originally was. No avail there either.

At some point I thought I had gotten somewhere with TWS 944.3, using the default target and having moved javaw.exe to the system32 and SysWOW64 folders. When selecting my connection from NT, it would launch TWS (even if TWS was already running). I would enter my login info, and TWS would start. However, NT would never actually connect - the "connecting" box would remain open (not turn green); after about 10 seconds TWS would shut down and the process would loop again.

I'm at a total loss here. My automated trading runs 24-7 and I'd like to be able to run it tonight.

Please help!
    Last edited by cgeorgan; 12-14-2016, 06:37 PM. Reason: Would really like help tonight (12/14/16). Added all attempts to fix as I try them.

Problem isn't anything close to what I thought

I wanted to post this as a separate response. As you can see from my original post, I tried just about everything I could to fix this issue. Then I came across the following old post:

It didn't seem to be my issue, then a word popped out:

WHITEBRANDING

I realized that the only thing I had changed in the past 24 hours was the option to "whitebrand" my TWS and site (I'm a financial advisor).

I followed the instructions to change the Global Configuration-->Configuration-->Display-->Settings to have "Interactive Brokers Trader Workstation" as the Titlebar text, and to use the system title bar.

Problem solved.

I hope this helps anybody else who spends 1+ hours trying to move Java files around, or downloading old version of TWS, or restarting your computer 64 times. It was this simple, and the error message was not at all related to the problem.

Hopefully, the devs see this and perhaps do something to remedy this.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by ScottWalsh, 04-16-2024, 04:29 PM
    7 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
    Started by cls71, Today, 04:45 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post cls71