bar time vs. trade time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bar time vs. trade time?

Is it true that the "Time" of a bar is always its Closing time, even as the bar is being formed when CalculateOnBarClose = false in realtime during an OnBarUpdate call?

If so, then is the OnMarketData callback the only way to get the time of a trade? (Other than looking at one's system clock during OnBarUpdate when CalculateOnBarClose = false.)

Thanks.

Correct on the timestamps. If you want to get time of a trade you can also check out the IExecution or even IOrder objects. They have a time property. http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...Execution.html
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks Josh!

A related question: Since bars are stamped with their closing time, then is it true that watching for a bar "Time" change (in realtime) is equivalent to watching for FirstTickOfBar = true? (i.e., one stores the current bar Time in a Strategy variable, and then watches for a new Time to show up)

Comment

Yes, but I don't know why you would want to use timestamps to do that when you could use if (FirstTickOfBar).
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
          Yes, but I don't know why you would want to use timestamps to do that when you could use if (FirstTickOfBar).
          It turns out there is some common code I can write for both historical and realtime processing of bars if I compare bar times to determine if a new bar has been started. A small thing, but I just wanted to doublecheck that I wasn't missing something about FirstTickOfBar. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post trilliantrader  
          Started by Davidtowleii, Today, 12:15 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Davidtowleii