Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tick Chart Equivalent to 15 Minute Chart

Hello,

I am wanting to test using a tick chart.

Can someone please tell me how many ticks would be equivalent to a 15 minute chart?

And how many ticks would be equivalent to a 2 minute chart?

Thanks,

There is no equivalency as any given time bar can have any amount of ticks, depending on the time of day and volume of trades.
    eDanny
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for posting.

eDanny would be correct here, the two different bar types are not necessarily interchangeable. Time based charts will plot until a specified amount of time has passed, whereas Tick charts are not based off of time at all. More information on how each bar type is built can be found at the below link:

Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

minutes to ticks

You can get it approximately right. There is 390 minutes in a normal day. So, at 15 minutes per bar, you get 26 bars. Adjust the tick count until you get about 26 bars in the typical day.

Another way to look at it is to divide the 390 minutes by the number of bars painted for the day; you get the minutes per bar. I have a 1000 tick chart for /NQ; that yields 4.4 minutes per bar. I'm shooting for 5 minutes. The count varies per instrument due to each having unique amount of trade volume. Minutes per bar will vary during the day due to volume changes. The rate at which to bars paint is an indications of interest. It takes some screen time to learn.

Comment

Depends what market, volume, time of day. There is no definitive answer, just experiment. Or you could try this
          Buy this indicator for NinjaTrader Buy this indicator for TradeStation If you are a day trader still using time charts, I have bad news for you. Not only are you missing out big time, but you are a…

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Javierw.ok  
          Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post bltdavid